Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 54' pacific brakes??
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A participant in the Texas Packard Meet has a source for remote fluid fillers for Packard brake master cylinders.

Wendell Spreadbury
7437 E. State Highway 21
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
spreadbury at suddenlink dot net

They are machined out of aluminum billet and come with all fittings and lines, and mount on cowl wall for easy access. Do not recall price.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/24 17:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I see it in the '55 & '56 Accessories section of the parts book. From the photo it's not clear to me if there is a siphon, and if so how it is started. If the tube was mounted at the bottom of the auxiliary reservoir in a short amount of time the fluid and air would 'change places'. Most modern cars have adopted a scheme quite similar to this accessory, namely; a visual inspection without removing a cap is the means to check the brake fluid level. Once you know the level is low then the wrenches come-out. Seems to me the same is true for the coolant level.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 19:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the tubing run and fill instructions but I forget where I got it or who posted the instructions.

One thing I would wonder about is the relief port in the BTVs between the seals that is supposed to provide an air or fluid path to the reservoir if either side seal starts leaking. With this arrangement if the vacuum side had issues it could still draw fluid into the power unit since there would be no air to pull.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.16 KB)
209_57955d766180e.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (77.72 KB)
209_579562e2eef9c.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2016/7/24 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I installed the brake reservoir back in '92. Purchased from Max sometime before that in original box. I thought I posted the original instructions long ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (201.47 KB)
23_5796541b50888.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/7/25 13:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've found what I believe is a simple analogy to the reason Treadle Vacs fail. Consider the cooling system of any car which is supposed to have some water pump lubricant in the water or anti-freeze. If you drive the car for many years without refreshing the lubricant/anti-rust, the water pump will be prone to failure and scale will form in the block and clog the radiator causing elevated running temperature and some loss of fluid.

As years go on you keep driving it and never check the fluid level or drain and flush the system. Eventually some of the rust/scale eats up the seal, the fluid runs out and the car overheats.

Why oh why you ask should my (65 year old car) suddenly overheat without warning???? It must be that damned McCord radiator!!!

Now change that scenario to brake system and "that damned Bendix Treadle Vac".

Human nature wants to blame some inanimate object rather than take responsibility for your own negligence.

Let's think of other things that fail: manual master cylinders, wheel cylinders, unretorqued head gaskets, radiator caps, rod bearings, main bearings, starters, batteries, generators etc etc. Some fail just from age, some from use, some from not changing the oil often.

Engine oil does not deteriorate from sitting 10 years, DOT 3 brake fluid does. Be mindful of who/what you curse.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:57
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

FloridaK5
See User information
Well here is the culprit!! I can see where the brake fluid will deteriorate now.. Mr. Fred it is headed to you tomorrow..

I'm not sure why it will not let me attach a picture .

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Be interesting to see what Fred's "failure analysis on it" reveals.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 20:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Used Irfanview photo software to improve the schematic and instructions for legibility.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (97.56 KB)
409_57975b4513716.jpg 738X720 px

jpg  (105.76 KB)
409_57975b8758e56.jpg 960X553 px

Posted on: 2016/7/26 7:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Geez Randy, that brake fluid looks like guinness. I thought it was supposed to look like budwiser!

Posted on: 2016/7/26 11:34
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Aaah! the bouquet of silicone brake fluid!

Attach file:

jpg  (1.30 KB)
23_5797a004dc814.jpg 41X41 px

Posted on: 2016/7/26 12:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved