Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

JW49, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
The power steering on my 55 400 leaks like a sieve. Does anyone rebuild them? A replacement from Kanter is a little out of reach, although the repair kits are not. How difficult it installing the kit?

Will a Stop Leak such as is used in engine oil swell the seals or will it gum up everything?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2016/8/25 14:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Steering
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2016/8/25 14:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on what is leaking and whether you have a Bendix or Monroe system. A 55 400 probably has Bendix so changing seals is not terrible. If the cylinder piston rod or the pump shaft is scored or worn causing the leak that becomes a job probably better left for a rebuilder to do.

I had some success with a power steering stop leak but mine was only a few drops from the piston rod. If yours is a sieve then I doubt the stop leak will help.

Posted on: 2016/8/25 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I've had good luck with Lares. Not cheap, but my time is worth more than what they charge, especially when it comes to the frustration of potentially having to do the job twice if I were to try to rebuild components myself. And the major plus is that they warranty their rebuilt components for as long as you own your car.

Each of the three main components comes in at around 220 a piece for a rebuild, most requiring you to send in your component to have it rebuilt.

If you can, I'd recommend purchasing the return & rebuild service through RockAuto...you'll save some money that way, and that's what they recommended to me when I called them originally.

Posted on: 2016/8/25 16:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Thank you one and all for your suggestions. I believe the order in which I'll attack the problem is -
1. Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak
2. A kit from Kanter with instructions from the suggested site
3. If I screw the rebuild up, go to Rock Auto and pay the piper.

I have high hopes that eventually I can park the Packard in my driveway without having little (or big) spots of dripped fluid.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2016/8/29 22:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The Eaton pumps are easy to re seal, never seen one that was bad inside. Seems like the Stude website has a post that detailed the procedure.

Posted on: 2016/8/30 7:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved