Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

Daniel Leininger, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955-56 Throw Out Bearing Source
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I am new to this NG, but can tell there is a wealth of tech info on this site for our beloved 55-56 Packard V8 powered cars. I just hope you folks don't hold it against me that my V8 came stock in a 1956 Stude GOlden Hawk.

Does anyone have a source for a 1955-56 throwout bearing? I need to replace the clutch disc & presure plate soon; the last time I did it (around 75,000 miles & ten years ago) there was not a source for the throw out bearing to be found anywhere.
Thanks,

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/23 16:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955-56 Throw Out Bearing Source
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If I remember right, I found one at O'Reilly's when I was thinking of putting my T85 in the Pat. I still have it, but I'll be danged if I remember what the part # is. I'll do some looking through my receipts and see if I can find the # and post it in the interchange if in fact it is an actual interchange. It fit the bearing retainer and throwout fork perfectly, but since I didn't have an original to compare it to, I can't guarantee a perfect fit.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Well I pulled the T85 today, to deal with a slipping clutch. Everything looks servicable still, but the oil slinger on the front of the tranny eventually let enough oil get on the disc to cause it to start slipping. After around 75,000 miles I really can't complain, but it probably would have burnt off if slipped a little on purpose, if y'all know what I mean. Oh well.

As for the t/o bearing, the now near extinct OEM one is not necessary. The alternative one I installed before has about .060" larger ID than the OD of the carrier, and has worked well. I forgot about using a substitue last time. (Really got to start keeping better records.) After 75,000 miles, if it ain't a problem it probably is not going to be a problem. What did the Packard engineers know anyway :)

The above bearing is FM #1752-1, if anyone cares. And yes Kevin, I am going to get round to entering the misc interchange info on the interchange portion of this NG site, hopefully soon.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/28 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Got a pic of it? The one I found fit perfectly.

Posted on: 2007/5/28 22:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2007/5/29 0:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I reinstalled the T85 today, with new pressure plate, disc and t/o bearing. It is near impossible to install it (in a 56J) with bellhousing in place, as instructed in the shop manual. To avoid an extra 3-4 hours' labor, I installed the bellhousing first, then the tranny.

Installing it this way called for using rubber bands to hold the t/o bearing in place against the pressure plate forks. Then connecting the spring that pulls the t/o bearing carrier rearward, while the tranny face was still about 2" away from the bellhousing.

I realize this is clear as mud for most folks reading it, especially those who haven't been there/done that lately. It may even be a mute point for Packards, since there is likely a lot more working room.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/3 16:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved