Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 105

JWL, BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 Pack convertible on "Chasing Classic Cars"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
On an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" there was featured a magnificent 12-cylinder '37 Packard coupe convertible.

Evidently, at one time the car belonged to the father of the show's host and the father wanted to try to buy the car back from the current owner. Unfortunately, the car was tied up in an estate issue. So, a direct-purchase was not an option. However, the estate authorized the attorney for the estate to sell the car via sealed bid. The winning bid was $213,000. The show's host lost out in the bid process, coming in at just below $200,000.

One of the amenities of the car that I found extremely neat was the illuminated running boards. Very progressive, IMO, for the time.

As an aside, it is extremely difficult for someone such as myself who makes a paltry $44,500 a year as a school teacher to manifest a modicum of empathy for someone who is disheartened because they weren't able to spend $200,000 for a classic car. Oh, well, I guess that's the jealous pauper in me speaking loud and clear.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/9/6 18:34
 Top  Print 

Re: '37 Pack convertible on "Chasing Classic Cars"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
When I got into this crazy hobby in 1963 I saw a '37 Packard Twelve Coupe-Roadster advertised for $5,000 and I mused 'Who would pay THAT kind of money!?!?!?'

Sure wish I had had the foresight AND the wherewithal to store a bunch of them....(sigh)

Bob

Posted on: 2016/9/6 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Amen, brother!

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/9/7 10:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

Its ever the plight of the classic car enthusiast: great interest and desire for the most desirable cars but too little money to back up that desire with action. Since I became interested in these cars as a teenager has ever been thus. And frustratingly, every time I got near a point financially of actually acting, something threw a monkey-wrench into it. We all have a car list of unrequited ownership

Still, I wouldn't give up my fascination with automotive history, Packards included, for anything. One has to just find a satisfying way to indulge the interest, whether studying the history, attending shows, making friends with those of common interests, even ownership and maintenance of a car. Though perhaps not ones first choice example, a vehicle (no pun intended) for enjoyable experiences, the better reason to own an old car.

As the old proverb goes: "The enjoyment of what we have is spoiled by always wanting more". Food for thought.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/9/7 11:43
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hi Steve!

Speaking of proverbs, your well-written comments remind that a word fittly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

You know, a week or so ago, some guy in here chastized me for bringing up a non-Packard related question. In the short time I've been a member of the forum, he's the first to be a bit rude to me. Initially, I wanted to snap back with a rude response, but I stopped myself and apologized to the guy.

I told him that I had been lead to believe that not only was this forum for Packard enthusiasts, but also for classic car enthusiasts, such as myself. To me, while Packard has its own unique history, it is only one part of the extremely varied history of automobiles and automobile manufacturing, much of which overlaps.

The evolution of Packard was not only from the inside out, but also strongly influenced by external factors, such as the Depression, demographics, and in response to what other car manufacturers were doing. As such, I see Packard as an amalgam of sefl-generated initiatives AND global factors. To talk specifically about Packard is, in a way, to talk about automotive history in general.

Did any of that make an ounce of sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's fun and very enjoyable not only to experience vicariously Packard ownership and history, but also to be able to inquire about all aspects of automotive history.

as always
Garrett M

Posted on: 2016/9/7 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

I may have posted this before, if I have you can skip it.

Johnny Peterson was the owner of the Twelve previous to Carrini handling it. I believe he was in a nursing home when Carinni got involved but he died before the show was aired ( I haven't seen that episode yet)

Johnny was a member of the late Eastern Packard Club. I was President on two different occasions for a total of 4 years. He had the car a very long time. I don't know when he bought it but he paid $900 in 1953 for a complete repaint and upholstery . This might make some of you feel better, or maybe worse. Johnny owned a gas station, I believe .When he crushed the grill on his 1948 Custom Eight he walked into his garage and unwrapped the complete NOS grille that he had and put it on his car.

Johnny caravaned with Jack Behn ("bean") and myself to the Packard Centennial in 1998 from Connecticut. Jack drove his 1941 180 formal ( dual sidemounts, division , padded roof, the whole nine yards) and John drove the Twelve. Jack's car had a regular rear end and an overdrive, and, as we used to say, he hammered it. John was behind him in the Twelve and I bought up the rear. I had my 1950 Eight at the time with overdrive. i would fall back going up the hills on Route 80 but would catch up after the crest.

We had co drivers so I was able to persuade Jack to let me drive his car for a while. It was absolute dead silent and smooth. The only way to judge speed was to look at the the speedometer. i had a 1980 BMW 528i at the time. It was a very hot car, but the 180 was much more peaceful and stabile at 75 mph. , I was very impressed.

The gas stops were pretty funny. Jack and Johnny couldn't understand why they were using so much gas. Johnny " I don't understand why gas mileage is so bad. I usually get 10 mpg and I'm getting only 9 !"

For some reason Johnny didn't have a hotel reservation so he stayed with me a few nights, n/c. of course. When he went to bed he would lay there for about a half hour and babble on about the cars before he fell asleep. He was like a five year old. At one point he had owned at least 6 or 7 of the classic era Packards that were on the field for the Magnum Opus.

The last time I saw John Peterson I had to remind him who I was. He's gone, Jack Behn is gone and so are Bob Skop, Neal Donovan, Doc Cresenzi , Nels Skog. and Jim McCoach. The Eastern Packard Club couldn't survive
their losses and now it is gone too.

"Those were the times my friend
We thought they'd never end"

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2016/9/7 21:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved