Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

"Bud" and Papa's 1953 Packard Clipper Sporster
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Well Folks, I finally found myself here thanks to Wes.
First a little background to why a 1953 Packard and why this project with my Grandson.
"Bud" as he is known to me has always liked older things. I even got him hooked on the oldies rock and real country, 50's-70's.
Bud just turned 16. I knew he had been eyeing my motorcycles and the several basket cases I have around but I just watched him. Later this summer he came to me and said....Papa, if we could find an older car or pickup would you show me how to restore it.
Man this made my day....I said of course if that is what you think you really want. Of course he said yes.
I told him we would start looking.
About 3 weeks later I saw 2 Packard cars advertised to be auctions at a farm sale. A 1951 Packard 200, running, but with a poor rebuild job. And a 1953 Packard Clipper.
The Clipper was not running. The insides were almost destroyed and the body had a little rust but not bad.
We stood at the auction all morning until the cars were to be auctioned and yep, they were the last two to be auctioned.
We stood in a downfall of rain for about an hour before they started on the cars and we were soaked. The '51 sold for $3100.00. When the Clipper came up only two of us bid on it......we got it for $200.00. Considering the shape of it I don't think it was bad.
Bud was happy. He liked the looks of the car and I had shown him pics of cars I would like to look for. So he had an idea.
We got it home and then realized it had an out of start title. This after we had already started taking it apart. I loaded it back up on the trailer, took it to have it ID/OD at the State Inspections and got our new title.
When this project is finished I will give the car to him. The only thing I asked was that if any of his brothers or others wanted to do the same and I was no longer around or capable that he show them what he learned. I do think he will follow through with this deal.
Now....having said all this, this is what we purchased that rainy Ozark day .
A 1953 Packard Clipper Sportster It has a 3 speed, manual transmission, a 288 straight 8 engine.
The colour code is TC and trim 46. This would be Packard Ivory (top) and Polaris Blue (bottom) with a Maroon interior and seats and side panels a Maroon and looks white of ivory colour.
On our progress....we bought it 8 August 2016 and to date have removed all the glass, doors interior, all chrome and the engine and transmission.
We have the engine apart and labeling and placing the parts for rebuild.
I will teach Bud how to rebuild everything I can that is rebuildable. This will take longer, but I think he will get more from it as I will and I can do it a little less money. I will also make as much as I can myself.
I hope my next post will be pictures of this old heap :)

Posted on: 2016/9/11 2:35
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

Re: "Bud" and Papa's 1953 Packard Clipper Sporster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gary,

Glad you, Bud and the Clipper Sportser have made it to the Projects Blog Forum. I'll be following along and.......there's no such thing as too many pictures! A good source of info for you should be BigKev's Blog on his '54 Clipper, not the same animal but close.

Link to Big Kev's Blog.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 4:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Good choice of car Gary. They are easy to work on, very pleasing to drive, and will easily keep up with traffic. Does your car have overdrive? If not, it is easy and worthwhile to add whilst the car is all apart. Will be following the project with interest. I have parted out MANY of the 51-54 and have quite an inventory that will fit.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 6:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
See as easy as pie, a piece of cake. Next, lets work on posting pictures.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/9/11 6:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Gary,

Fun story about "Bud" and the Clipper to-be-restored. It's great to hear about teaching the next generation the restoration procedures and skills. As my friend Kevin (KevinAZ) has said, "We are all just custodians of these cars."

My current paid helper is a friend in his late 40s (I'm 71) who is being partly compensated by my teaching him and his learning the same sort of things as you are with your son "Bud". As in most things, there are a few right ways and plenty of wrong ways to do it.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/11 13:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Hi Folks, I hope I get these few pics right.
The first is Bud standing by the Packard at my house.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.31 KB)
139971_57e2b5d64256a.jpg 512X338 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 11:31
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Another pic of the '53 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (303.91 KB)
139971_57e2b656a4478.jpg 1920X1266 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 11:33
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
'53 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (180.35 KB)
139971_57e2b6ad25750.jpg 1920X1266 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 11:34
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
'53 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (202.26 KB)
139971_57e2b70c00284.jpg 1920X1266 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 11:36
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
'53 Packard

Attach file:

jpg  (137.25 KB)
139971_57e2b77fb2414.jpg 1920X1266 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 11:38
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved