Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 176

todd landis, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to identify and test condensers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I have a box of condensers. Unfortunately they are not stamped with any rating.
How do you test them for rating and whether or not they are good?

Posted on: 2016/9/15 17:51
 Top  Print   

Re: How to identify and test condensers?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many multimeters have a cap test function. I have an older Sears Craftsman with the function but there are better and newer and probably cheaper VOMs available. Fluke is one of the better brands but you do pay for quality. My Craftsman cost around $75 about 5 years ago and does a surprisingly decent job of giving a value -- well within the tolerance spec of most general purpose caps.

If you do a search for "measuring capacitance" quite a few articles come up with various other methods.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 18:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: How to identify and test condensers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Most of those little ignition looking condensers (capacitor) will be between 3 and 5 mfd,

You can measure these with some multi-meters.

What needs to be checked is the leakage and the multi meters can't measure that as it takes about 500 volts.

We in the electronics business say it is never the tubes that go bad but always the capacitors.

Jim

Posted on: 2016/10/16 10:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved