Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-56 V8 Powered Orphans
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
(Submitted as an article by JoeH, but I think this was an accident and should have been posted in the forum. So I moved it over here. Thanks -Kev)

Quote:
There were several thousand 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawks, and 1955-56 Hudsons and Nashes that left the factory with the Packard V8 installed. Many of these cars still survive, and are perhaps the rarest of the rare. On the down side, both Packard & the campanies that made the cars consider them orphan.A Packard V8 is a Packard V8...
I have been driving 1956 Golden Hawks (a.k.a. 56J) now since 1986, and have logged around 175,000 miles on them. For me, part of the intrigue is the Packard 352. I love its road power, smoothness, and personality.

Over the years, I have rebuilt at least a half dozen Packard V8s, and have enjoyed each of those projects also. So far, knock on wood, I have not had to re-do one, other than the usual ironing the bugs out in the first few hundred miles. I currently have two 352s in my garage, reconditioning finished and waiting on reassembly.

In reading this forum, I realized there is much tech info we could likely share, including the Nash and Hudson folks, since we all share and love the same engine. I am particularly interested in learning more about the Olds/Melling oil pump.

Thanks,
Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/23 21:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 V8 Powered Orphans
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Where do u source your V8 parts for overhaul?????
I'm always willing to discuss the Olds pump conversion and currently logged at least 500 miles or more on such a conversion.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note: i just added to the X-ref the Wells DR949 part number and description for the Delco V8 rotor NONresistor type. More comming on fuel filters.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
(Submitted as an article by JoeH, but I think this was an accident and should have been posted in the forum. So I moved it over here. Thanks -Kev)

Quote:

There were several thousand 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawks, and 1955-56 Hudsons and Nashes that left the factory with the Packard V8 installed. Many of these cars still survive, and are perhaps the rarest of the rare. On the down side, both Packard & the campanies that made the cars consider them orphan.A Packard V8 is a Packard V8...
I have been driving 1956 Golden Hawks (a.k.a. 56J) now since 1986, and have logged around 175,000 miles on them. For me, part of the intrigue is the Packard 352. I love its road power, smoothness, and personality.

Over the years, I have rebuilt at least a half dozen Packard V8s, and have enjoyed each of those projects also. So far, knock on wood, I have not had to re-do one, other than the usual ironing the bugs out in the first few hundred miles. I currently have two 352s in my garage, reconditioning finished and waiting on reassembly.

In reading this forum, I realized there is much tech info we could likely share, including the Nash and Hudson folks, since we all share and love the same engine. I am particularly interested in learning more about the Olds/Melling oil pump.

Thanks,
Joe H

This is why I and a few others started the Packard V8 Club, specifically for this reason. ALL Packard V8 powered cars are included, doesn't matter if it's a '94 Corsica with a 374, it's welcome.

As for the Olds pump conversion, whatcha wanna know?

Posted on: 2007/5/23 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Two years ago we had the Nash convention in town and they came to the facility where I work to take a tour. I was out front looking at all of the various Nashes and began talking to a guy who as it turns out was their club president. I mentioned that I was interested in the 55-56 models and his face sort of turned and said "you know those have the Packard engine and transmission, I'd avoid those" I replied that I am a Packard guy, a V-8 Packard guy and that I don't fear the V-8 or the T-U, that we kinda have them figured out and rather enjoy them. He just seemed baffled.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 6:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dan White
See User information
In the same sprit of the engines: I have been trying to find out more concerning the push button transmission. I know that Autolite designed the one on the 56 Packard. I know that Edsel also had electronic push button transmission, where all of the other button types were mechanical/vacuum. Edsel was a Ford product. Autolite is most often identified with Ford. I think that Nance went over to Ford to work on the Edesl. Follow my thought?
I was told that the Edsel hook up was completely different than the Packard. Well, after all this was two years later. Did the engineers improve on the unit? I would think that they had learned from the Packard unit.
Please, any information could be a help.
Dan

Posted on: 2007/5/24 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
OK-I've told this story before over on the AACA Packard forums, I'll try to do long story short here:
My uncle worked for Ford (Lincoln Mercury) out of Dearborn during the period that Packard was hitting the skids. There were memos going around Ford to unconditionally hire anyone that showed up from Packard applying for a job, such was the respect for Packard at Ford. There was a steady procession form East grand blvd. to various Ford facilities.
My uncle used to go to lunch with a bunch of marketing people, one of whom came from Packard and still drove a 1956 Carribbean. They all were intrigued with the Packard pushbuttons and thought them to be just the thing for this new car they were working on. They arranged for the Carribbean to go to an engineering garage for evaluation, looked at the system on the car and bought the parts needed to make up the system through a S-P dealer. The one thing my uncle kept hearing was "we've got to make this thing cheaper"
The tooling had been destroyed at Autolite at the end of the run, Packard was gone and no one wanted to pay for the tooling, so Ford started all over for the Edsel. They were known to be more trouble than Packard's p-button system.
Jim Nance became the head of Edsel, and was well known as a proponent of pushbuttons, first at Hotpoint with the pushbutton range, then at Packard. He would have been more than receptive, although the idea would have to climb a long ladder of middle men at Ford before a product VP would have seen it.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 12:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved