Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 V8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Williams
See User information
I seem to get a lifter rattle once the 352 gets warm. Also oil pressure (on auxiliary gauge) goes from 35-40 to 20-30. Any hints on best way to check lifter?
Anyone running synthetic in the V8?

Posted on: 2016/10/9 13:50
Jeff W
Pittsburgh
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Its hard to know if your car has had all the changes 55 V8s needed due to some early problems with oiling issues. There were several that had direct relationship to low oil pressure and if the changes were never done would be very obvious with warm and presumably thinner oil.

Early issues were too much oil being delivered to the timing chain and to the valve rockers. Both were corrected with revised parts which had to be dealer installed. The oil pump issues which seems to still be ongoing with some original pumps had a few attempts at correction by Packard but none were totally successful before time ran out.

There are some speculated reasons for why the oil pumps still have issues and some modern reworks that have on occasion been reasonably successful. Other fixes have been more guesses than fixes and it is hard to say if they proved anything. The odd part is some pumps are high mileage and have never given issues and others are low miles yet have the low oil pressure and clattering valve lifter problem.

The ultimate cure seems to be conversion to the Olds oil pump.. That pump has a much greater capacity and can provide enough oil flow to overcome slightly worn bearings or the lack of any of the factory changes. If your engine still has the original pump and no one else has better suggestions you might consider the replacement. If you want to send a PM to Jack Vines he has info and sells a kit with the needed pieces and instructions. IIRC, he has also repro'd the revised cam thrust plate for the too much oil being delivered to the timing chain issue.

Posted on: 2016/10/9 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Williams
See User information
Thanks! Will look Jack up. The 55 has 58,000 original miles. Will look for paper work on repairs as I have receipt from 1963 retro fit of AC.
Jeff w

Posted on: 2016/10/9 15:14
Jeff W
Pittsburgh
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
One thing to try, check your oil level on the dip stick. Bring it to the level full mark on the dip stick. Then add an extra quart. Does that cure the lifter issue?

Posted on: 2016/10/9 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
The Packard V8 engine club has a new oil pump that may solve your problems-it is adapted from the Oldsmobile high-capacity oil pump, I've been told it can be installed in your car without engine removal. When I had my 55 engine rebuilt I had the upgraded thrust washer installed; however if I leave the engine idle to long I get the clack clack clack from the lifters-My next trip to Ross Miller will address this issue.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 22:36
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Williams
See User information
Thanks. I'll try that this week!

Posted on: 2016/10/11 18:40
Jeff W
Pittsburgh
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Is that alternate oil pump the same that PI was selling for years?

Posted on: 2016/10/15 11:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Is that alternate oil pump the same that PI was selling for years?

No, PI's pump is a modified OEM Packard unit.

This is an adapter kit to mount a late Oldsmobile V8 oil pump on the Packard V8.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/10/15 11:23
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Williams
See User information
So do I get both parts as part of kit or just adapter?

Posted on: 2016/11/2 18:44
Jeff W
Pittsburgh
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The adapter kit is $210
(FWIW, less than it cost ten years ago.)

The Olds pump and pickup is $100
You can choose to source it locally.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/11/2 20:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved