Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 25 »

1941 PACKARD MAKES ICE CUBES
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
10-10-16

I am writing an illustrated history of factory air conditioning during the 1940-1942 and 1953-1960 periods.

I continue to search for a photo of the 1940 Packard air conditioned demonstrator at the 1940 auto shows. Do you or anyone else have such a photo?

I came across a 1941 Chicago Auto Show flyer which advertised "SEE THE MOTOR CAR THAT MAKES ICE CUBES," followed by "Special equipment for the Super-8 includes a cellarette, with service for six--including two trays of ice cubes! They freeze while you drive! Again, there's real refrigerated Air Conditioning to rout the heat of Summer! Don't miss it! Ask the man who owns one!" (See attached)

I have found an article from the San Francisco Examiner 11-17-40 which illustrated the cellarette service. However, I am unable to find 1941 Packard literature to support the optional cellarette accessory and price. Do you or anyone else have such a brochure? (See attached)

I would appreciate such information and will ensure that you are credited for it.

Thanks,
archiveman2977

Attach file:

jpg  (93.90 KB)
92057_57fc13774f65a.jpg 601X1024 px

jpg  (77.99 KB)
92057_57fc13a936149.jpg 768X950 px

Posted on: 2016/10/10 17:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 PACKARD MAKES ICE CUBES
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day archiveman2977,
to PackardInfo.

Just wondering from this, and your other other post, whether you have or have read Jim Hollingsworth's book on 1940 Packards? I'm sorry I haven't, but surmise there could be info and pictures in it about A/C in 1940. I understand that Jim had an A/C Packard.

And, on the off chance you own a Packard, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 17:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
10-10-16

Hello Ozstatman,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have read Packard 1940 A Pivotal Year by the late James Hollingsworth.

In fact I live in Texas where I attended the 2015 Texas Salado meet and met one of his good friends in the Ark-La-Tex club who lent it to me. Interestingly, Jim had autographed Norman Bates' copy, dated 10-7-02.

And yes, there are images and information about air conditioning which will be utilized and credited to him, but none of the images which I now seek.

Thanks again!
archiveman2977

Posted on: 2016/10/10 18:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Met Norman Bates, and his son Todd, together with the Flackmaster when they were in Oz for our National Packard Rally in 2009, great people. Mentioning the Flackmaster, have you spoken with him?

Posted on: 2016/10/10 18:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Archiveman2977

The Salesman Data Book for 1941 has some information on the optional cellarette. I recall reading about it in my copy. You'll find a pdf of it in the Literature and Manual section.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/10/10 19:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
10-11-16

Hi 58l8134,

Thanks for your reply. I have reviewed again the 1941 Packard Data Book in the Literature section. I don't see the mention of the cellarette.

Perhaps the complete edition was not listed. Or, the Data Book publication date of this copy, September 1940, was published earlier than your copy.

Nevertheless, would you please scan your information for the cellarette accessory? I would appreciate it.

Please use a scan resolution of 300DPI or greater for publication requirements.

Thanks,
archiveman2977

Posted on: 2016/10/11 10:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
10-11-16

Hi Ozstatman,

No, I haven't yet spoken with Flackmaster. Perhaps I will meet him at a Texas Packard meet in the future.

After speaking with him about my illustrated air conditioning book, Norman Bates was kind enough to send me a copy of the Packard Technical Service Data Manual from the Packard Ark-La-Tex club.

I understand that there was no 1940 Packard service manual and the 1941 service manual covered both the 1940 and 1941 Packard air conditioning model years.

Thanks,
archiveman2977

Posted on: 2016/10/11 10:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From a few photos and illustrations I've seen -- some Packard, some not -- it would appear the compressor changed from right to left engine side on Clippers. If you run across any documentation, I would be very interested in knowing why Packard felt the need to make the Clipper move yet kept it on the right side with conventional bodies. It would also be interesting to know what else had to change to make the move.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Archiveman,
You may have already seen it, but there is a Service Councelor on the pre war A/C system. I'm not sure if there is any other A/C information in the Service Councelors or technical bulletins.

Were there prewar technical bulletins?

Posted on: 2016/10/11 10:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The cellarette cleverly uses the long fluid trip between under hood compressor to trunk evaporator to "bypass" into the refrigerator.

There is a war time bulletin on using methylene chloride instead of Freon as the working fluid.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 11:34
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved