Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve Cover Colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Does anyone know which year & size of the V8 came with black covers and white PACKARD script?
The reason I ask is the 56J I had in high school (late 60s) had those covers. I am thinking that would give me a pretty good idea of which version of the Packard V8 someone had installed in that car.

Thanks,

Joe Hall

Posted on: 2007/5/24 19:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve Cover Colors
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Form the PI engine room judging guide:

1955 Rocker Covers

352 Seniors Black with Ivory Letter (Ivory Engine)
350 Clipper Black with Stick on Clipper (Red Engine)
352 Clipper Custom Black with Stick on Clipper (Turquoise Engine)
Chrome Optional (Script unpainted)

1956 Rocker Covers

374 Senior Silver with Red Letters (Bronze Engine)
352 Senior Silver with Red Letters (Metallic Green Engine)
Clippers Silver with Red Letters "Clipper" (Metallic Green Engine)
Chrome Optional (Script unpainted)

Some replacement engine were painted Turquoise with Clipper value covers. STB 55T-3 advised service managers to repaint the engine the correct color, and install the correct value covers if required.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 19:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Great Information

Posted on: 2007/6/5 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Thanks for the info. It looks like the engine was most likely out of a 1955 Packard Senior, though I cannot recall the color of the engine block. Funny that I can recall the valve covers but not the block.

Though both still have their correct engines, I intend to instal a set of chromed 'PACKARD' valve covers on at least one of the two 56Js. I have two pairs in the chrome shop now, and the guy is gonna give me a quote for the best (read that cheapest) pair. I also intend to paint the script red, as someone mentioned is correct for Packards whose owners ordered the covers as AC.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to paint the script and have it come out looking like it was not hand painted by an amateur (me)?

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/5 21:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Packard script was not painted on the chrome valve covers.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 22:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Info has been updated.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 22:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I have heard that there were some chrome-plated valve covers with red paint on the embossed script - same as what was done on the silver-painted covers on 56th Series Seniors. I believe it was Randy Berger, in another forum of days-gone-by, who pointed this out to me. Perhaps he will chime in with his $0.02.

Regardless, it is a real PIA to try to paint the script unless you have someone who can cut some sort of clean stencil. I suspect that's what the factory used.

Getting paint to hold up on chrome is another PIA.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 23:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dan White
See User information
On painting Chrome: I am told by tech at House of Kolor, EastwoodCompany, To paint on Chrome, clean well, spray on their "P-20" then apply any top coat. I think the product is called something like "Adhearall". I'll check and get back!
Dan

Posted on: 2007/6/6 8:16
Proudly owned by Princess Pricilla Packard!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For NONchrome:
Paint the top of the valve cover and the script the color that u want the script to be when finished. LET IT DRY for about a week so that it is NOT SOFT PAINT.
Next, paint the entire valve cover the other colr u want it to be and use a tounge depressor or other flat piece of wood like instrument wrapped with a cloth and dipped in thinner to rub over the top of the script removing the wet paint after each coat. DOn't let the stick and cloth become too moist with thinner nor too caked up with wiped off paint. Experiemnt wit hthe cloth and get the right spongyness to the set up for wiping. Its been several years since i've done this but if i remeber rite i used a flannel shirt cloth wrapped about 3 thicknesses around the sucker stick and kept it only damp with thinner by wrapping it in a wet rag between uses.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Hello Everyone,

I have never been a fan of the chrome valve covers on senior Packards of 1955-1956, for no reason other than my personal preference. I do howver love the look of the 1955 black covers with ivory colored script for the seniors.

Attached are pics of one of the valve covers for my 1955 400 that I recently had redone. The valve covers were powder coated with 60% black and then I had a very skilled automotive 'pinstriper' hand paint the script with ivory paint. I was going to use the ivory paint from Hirsch, BUT the pinstriper said that paint was too soft. He instead used another brand with a harder consistency.

Best regards,

Kevin
Tucson

Attach file:

jpg  (54.33 KB)
20_466a03c6c9b62.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (55.48 KB)
20_466a03f0acaf2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/6/8 20:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved