Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

gasoline flooding atop ee16 carb after stopping
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
My 1940 120 runs quite well but the carb has gasoline on it after normal operation. My concern is that there could be an engine fire.
The carb was rebuilt recently and performs quite well. Could it be a faulty seal on the pump shaft or the float too high?

Any ideas,

Thanks,

Bob

Posted on: 2016/11/20 7:37
 Top  Print   

Re: gasoline flooding atop ee16 carb after stopping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're using an electric fuel pump, it may be the result of excessive pressure. Otherwise I'd think the primary suspects would be a defective needle and seat, or a defective (sunken) float. But in either case I doubt the car would run particularly well.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 9:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
No electric pump. The car runs very well and powerful, as almost everything is new or rebuilt. I discovered the problem after I parked in my garage and then smelled gasoline fumes. I opened the hood and there was gasoline on top of the carb. The engine was very hot. The gas evaporated quickly. However; I am concerned about an engine fire.

Thanks for your concern

Bob

Posted on: 2016/11/20 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Since the Carburetor was just rebuilt, I would start looking there.
1. Is the fuel line on correct and not cross threaded?
2. All screws on the Carburetor torqued to the correct values?

Have some one watch and look at the carburetor while the engine is running and after you turn it off to see if they can spot where the gas is coming from.
And by all means have a fire extinguisher always handy.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/20 11:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
I had a similar problem with my '39 120 (also uses the EE-16 Stromberg). It too had been rebuilt by a previous owner but would overflow and dump gas out between the bowl and the casting that serves as the bowl cover and air horn (leaving a puddle on the top of the carb). I took this apart and noticed two things: one, the needle itself was a weird round blob instead of a needle (looked like a Grose jet but wasn't... it was just a God-knows-what rubber sphere on the end that may have been affected by ethanol) and, two, the clip that attaches the float to the needle was missing.

I've since replaced the funky looking needle with a proper Viton tipped needle and seat and reinstalled the missing clip. The carb has not overflowed since I did this.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 9:21
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I took this apart and noticed two things: one, the needle itself was a weird round blob instead of a needle (looked like a Grose jet but wasn't..

I wonder if that could be the new design valve that Daytona is using now which is supposed to be less susceptible to issues common to the regular needle valve.https://daytonaparts.com/daytona-carburetor-float-valve.html

Posted on: 2016/11/22 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Like better mousetraps, there have been many designs of float valves over the years. It's not the Daytona version shown on the link which is a flat rubber disc.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 11:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
I don't know for sure; I'll take a picture of the needle valve (I held on to it) and post it later for analysis. It could be that the "needle" (hard to call it a needle really) was fine and that the missing clip is / was more important than it seems to be.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 12:45
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
Here is the picture of the "needle" I removed from my EE-16. I didn't trust it after looking at it so it was replaced with a real needle. I don't know who made this or who put it in.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.49 KB)
67563_5835a9145cf56.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/23 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the small round disc on the end of the hex piece it kind of looks like it may be a version of the Daytona valve. Does the threaded part have the raised seat inside that the round rubber disc can seal against?

Attach file:

jpg  (109.86 KB)
209_5835b3639573f.jpg 1386X550 px

Posted on: 2016/11/23 10:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved