Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Dealer Tags/Frames?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I am curious to see if anyone has retained their Packard dealer tags, decals or license plate frames that originally came with their car? While many, including my father, hated driving around with "free advertising" showing on the back of the car they had just paid for, some owners might have been proud enough that they bought their Packard at a prestigious dealer in town. As a youngster, I paid attention to those pot metal tags that required some holes to be drilled, showing that the car was a local purchase. But in other parts of the country, some might be less offended by displaying a metal license plate with the dealer name and town included. I dare say that probably no mere decal or sticker has survived the six or more decades, but unused stock may still be archived somewhere.

Looking through the thousands of dealer names in this registry, more than a few seem to resonate with my memories. Top mention must surely go to Earle C. Anthony's multiple stores in California, plus Frost and French (LA), Noll (Pasadena), Albrecht-Burke (my St. Louis hometown), Wendell-Hawkins (Houston) and the many "Packard of....(insert the large city name) entries. Have any of the collectors in this forum bothered to save or collect these dealer bits of history?

My Esquire was shipped to DuBois in Arlington VA, but may have actually been delivered by McNey in WashDC because I found a nicely preserved license plate frame tucked behind the rear seat. My Executive was an Anthony car, delivered in Los Angeles, but that's only because of the shipping documents. No other clues, except two filled-in drill holes in the sheet metal under the trunk lid. Of course, on the pre-war cars, there was always the car's vehicle "patent" plate that you could show to your friends to prove its origin. But you'd have to open the hood to do the impressing.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 18:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Dealer Tags/Frames?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

DaveB845 wrote:
I am curious to see if anyone has retained their Packard dealer tags, decals or license plate frames that originally came with their car? While many, including my father, hated driving around with "free advertising" showing on the back of the car they had just paid for, some owners might have been proud enough that they bought their Packard at a prestigious dealer in town. As a youngster, I paid attention to those pot metal tags that required some holes to be drilled, showing that the car was a local purchase. But in other parts of the country, some might be less offended by displaying a metal license plate with the dealer name and town included. I dare say that probably no mere decal or sticker has survived the six or more decades, but unused stock may still be archived somewhere.

Looking through the thousands of dealer names in this registry, more than a few seem to resonate with my memories. Top mention must surely go to Earle C. Anthony's multiple stores in California, plus Frost and French (LA), Noll (Pasadena), Albrecht-Burke (my St. Louis hometown), Wendell-Hawkins (Houston) and the many "Packard of....(insert the large city name) entries. Have any of the collectors in this forum bothered to save or collect these dealer bits of history?

My Esquire was shipped to DuBois in Arlington VA, but may have actually been delivered by McNey in WashDC because I found a nicely preserved license plate frame tucked behind the rear seat. My Executive was an Anthony car, delivered in Los Angeles, but that's only because of the shipping documents. No other clues, except two filled-in drill holes in the sheet metal under the trunk lid. Of course, on the pre-war cars, there was always the car's vehicle "patent" plate that you could show to your friends to prove its origin. But you'd have to open the hood to do the impressing.

Yes, I have posted photos on the Packard Club web site in the past, but yes, I saved original Packard license plate frames from my cars over the years. Earle C. Anthony L.A. and Beverly Hills; Frost & French L.A.; Packard LaBrea, L.A.; some frames from Detroit (don't recall the dealer's name) and elsewere.

By the way, I know these terms have somehow gotten mooshed together over the years, but growing up in Michigan, a license "plate" was a full pressed metal panel displayed on your vehicle with numbers, letters or both. A "tag" was a tag... a little piece of metal that screwed on over the edge corner of a license plate to change the year, but not the whole plate. Today the terms seem to be used interchangeably, but they originally meant different things.

Anyway, yes, I have a small collection of license plate frames saved over the years from my Packards and others.

Also, by the way, Earle C. Anthony had some of the most interesting accessories over the years. In the postwar era, two of their acessories sometimes found bolted into the vehicle were "Luber-Finer" huge super oil filter and special vacuum-operated cigarette ash tray (it sucked ashes off of a cigarette and blew them into a bottle mounted either in the engine compartment or in the trunk).

Posted on: 2016/11/22 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I had one for my Packard from Ed Roth & Son our local Packard dealer in Glassboro NJ. It was a complete frame type.
He also sold MG and I put the frame on my MGB-GT and like a dummy, I left it on the car when I sold it to a fellow in Newport RI.
Been looking for another for years.

Posted on: 2016/11/22 23:35
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I am sure that it's a typo, but the Oakland, CA (Lakeshore Drive) listing for Earle C. Anthony has dropped the final e in his given name. The Southern CA ECA dealerships are spelled with the two e's.

Long ago, in my days as a Volvo dealership mechanic we definitely saw a pecking order in the dealerships in our metro area. If we saw our dealers name on the license plate frame, we assumed two things: first, they paid a bit more for the car from us, and secondly, they were used to getting better service. We called it White Glove Treatment.

My Esquire's previous owner/caretaker had a grandfather who worked at Packard Washington (D.C.) as a tool and die maker in the 1920-30s. He would tell stories about the Secret Service sending two agents with each car coming in for service and never letting it out of their sight. Packard owners were routinely treated to a car wash, no matter the weather outside and the gas tanks were topped off at no charge to the service customer. There was an in-house laundry and no Packard was entered by someone in a previously soiled uniform. I'm not sure if this applied to all Packards, but certainly it did to the Seniors and all of the White House cars.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thought I would post these pictures here.

Attach file:

jpeg  (349.77 KB)
1220_59dc04f8edf72.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (408.91 KB)
1220_59dc052a0fd29.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (264.95 KB)
1220_59dc0552a7375.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/10/9 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Let the ride decide, the logo from Tom McClallan, Shreveport, indicates to a Packard dealer who isn't mentioned at the Dealer List.

Click to see original Image in a new window

source: newspapers.com

Posted on: 2017/10/9 23:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is a photo of a license plate topper I bought at the Texas Packard Meet a few years ago. The seller had several of these toppers. Have a nice day. JWL

Attach file:

jpg  (36.09 KB)
565_59dd0c460467e.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2017/10/10 13:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
1951 Packard 200....The Kiker's Packard "advertisement" is fixed to the trunk lid LL side.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.33 KB)
721_59dd42be4f91f.jpg 800X480 px

Posted on: 2017/10/10 16:59
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Attach file:

jpeg  (30.35 KB)
1220_59e28ce866823.jpeg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2017/10/14 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Attach file:

jpeg  (43.52 KB)
1220_59eb79eca6820.jpeg 600X360 px

Posted on: 2017/10/21 11:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved