Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Plastic dashboard knob removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I am in the process of removing my dashboard so I can try to re-woodgrain it. I got all the knobs off except the one furthest to the left which turns on the lights (I used a grinder to cut off the electro-clutch knob). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance,
Rhinelander

Attach file:

jpg  (290.61 KB)
949_58497ac967aff.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (290.61 KB)
949_58497b0c2670c.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/12/8 10:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Plastic dashboard knob removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would appear from this illustration of a 41 senior switch the knob and shaft may still be bonded together as a one piece assy. Believe the prewar headlight switches from 35 on had the same arrangement and knobs were not removable without destruction..

It appears to remove he knob you would need to remove the shaft and knob assy as a unit by unscrewing the bezel and releasing the end of the knob shaft from the receiver assy at the switch. If you are going to replace the knob, then after removal of that assy you could support the shaft as needed to do whatever is required. If the shaft enters the knob directly with no sign of any insert or threading it is probably molded in place. I expect the knob would have to be broken or cut off.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.67 KB)
209_58498098ad348.jpg 1396X564 px

Posted on: 2016/12/8 10:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
HH,
Thank you for your assistance. I am going to try to look at the back of the knob to see if there is a sheet metal spring holding it in place like the starter knob.
Rhinelander

Posted on: 2016/12/8 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The knob does not come off! You need to make a spanner that fits the slots in the plate behind the knob and unscrew it (unhook the battery) then reach under the dash and get ahold of the switch and twist the shaft up and unhood the end of shaft.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 20:12

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Dell,
Thanks a million. Now I won't have to grind off the
knob. I really appreciate the information
Rhinelander

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you need more detail of the knob and shaft removal here are a couple of illustrations and some instructions posted a few days ago.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=184365#forumpost184365

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved