Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

pressure test radiator
Just popping in
Just popping in

TonyK1955
See User information
My 1938 super eight radiator has inside slots for cap to fit. Most testers that I've looked at have flanges that fit in slots on the outside of radiator fill neck. Any one know where to find adapter or whatever? I'm trying to test radiator for leaks under pressure before installing. Any help appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 12:28
 Top  Print   

Re: pressure test radiator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Tony
While it's out, and to avoid having to spend $ on an adapter, why not take it to an radiator shop where you can have the radiator looked over and evaluated for integrity, flow tested and leaks before installing? Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/8 12:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with Steve, I'd have it checked by a professional radiator shop, and most especially checked for flow rate, that radiator is no joy to have to remove a 2nd time if it's not up to the job! But if you want to just pressure test yourself, with a snug-fitting radiator cap you could put it on, turn the radiator upside down, and rig up a simple adapter to pressurize from what was the lower gooseneck. A large rubber cork/stopper would be the basis for adapting your pressure test apparatus - such corks commonly available at swimming pool supply houses.

Not sure what pressure one might use to perform a test, but of course you know the system is a non-pressurized cooling system.

Packard gravity flow-rate specification is 30-34 gallons per minute.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why do u need to pressure test it??? It is NOT a pressurised cooling system. If u're looking for leaks then just fill up the radiator with some water annd let it set for a week and watch for leaks.

There is not much point to pressure testing ANY radiator for that matter. It either flows well (see Owen Dyneto post above) and doesn't leak.

U can pressure test it all day long. But once installed and HEATED up bythe engine and subject to road vibrations it sould leak where a static pressure test would indicate no leaks.

The pressure test is usualy done on FULLY ASSEMBLED cars. Usuaaaly to find leaks in head gaskets or other places of the cooling system whereit might be otherwise difficult to locate the precise point of leakage.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 13:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i agree...not a pressurized system, but i guess a pressure test could show "potential" leaks that might happen from vibration and heat and normal use, etc.

its not a bad idea, but with it being non pressurized i wouldn't worry too much about it leaking. you'd probably have to have a hell of a crack or hole before it really leaked bad since there is no pressure.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 13:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

TonyK1955
See User information
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all the advice. Didn't know for sure that my system was not pressurized. Well, didn't know at all. We did have the radiator standing with water for several days and didn't find any leaks which is why I thought a simple pressure test might find a pin hole. We also have flushed several times. After reviewing the comments I will now take to the radiator shop for one final check before installing on the engine - which is on a stand - and start our test running. Thanks again. Hope in the future I can help out somebody.
Tony

Posted on: 2016/12/8 16:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved