Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Boring out the 237 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would get a 38-47 block and not bother with trying to make a 237 a 245. Plus, the later engines have better oiling. Just a thought...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/12/20 14:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
A good thought, but I have the '37 block and it would go back in a '37 if I can get my hands on it. All bench racing for now, but the plan in my head is overbore, deck the block and head to bump compression, custom intake manifold and exhaust header and dual carbs. I would also port and polish the best I could, but I understand that the flathead is limited. That is all work I can do. If the project comes to fruition, I may look into a period correct supercharger and or a custom cam.

Again, this is all dreaming for now, but someday I would like to find a 1085 sport coupe, spice up the engine a little and add an overdrive. Something comfortable to drive in, including down the highway, but all Packard. I would also add seatbelts and a dual master cylinder for safety.

Posted on: 2016/12/20 16:45
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Do the math. 60 thou is like 3% on a 4" bore. Maybe 3 HP at most. It's actually less do to friction and flow disturbances. That's take the air cleaner off HP.
Not intending to offend anyone or change the discussion, just bringing the numbers.

Yes, no offense taken, but everyone had already agreed the potential horsepower increases from boring the old six were not large, just that they are real. I actually did the math and it comes to 3.5 additional horsepower from the increased displacement and compression.

We all learn from these discussions; so please share with us those better ways you'd recommend to increase horsepower on a flathead.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/12/20 17:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If the time comes I have a 36 inline 8 block that I believe is .060 over already and has pistons in .060. Pins need help. Will need a honing I think. Some valves in it as well... look new. Block needs cleaning from sitting. Remove studs to deck. Head is not HC, but has been decked. Cam is there as well. No rods.... in my 37 already. Have my old 37 rods... one is out of spec. Have my old 37 crank.... needs to be turned to .030.

Posted on: 2016/12/20 20:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Hmm... That would be pretty hot rod to stuff an 8 cylinder, even just a 282, into a 115 chassis! Thanks! I'll keep it in mind...

Posted on: 2016/12/20 21:08
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,

Think you got it right when saying "stuff an 8 cylinder, even just a 282, into a 115 chassis". Although probably "doable", the extra length of the 8, about 6"+, oil pan interference problems with the front crossmember and relocating a radiator way forward make it difficult at best.

Posted on: 2016/12/20 21:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Oh, I didn't say I would do it! I have spent enough time now, even with my limited experience, under the bonnet of a '37 115 and a '37 120 to know how hard it would be! Fun to think about nonetheless, especially since I don't have the 1085 yet.

Posted on: 2016/12/20 22:37

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Ken P wrote:
A good thought, but I have the '37 block and it would go back in a '37 if I can get my hands on it...

Again, this is all dreaming for now, but someday I would like to find a 1085 sport coupe, spice up the engine a little and add an overdrive. Something comfortable to drive in, including down the highway, but all Packard. I would also add seatbelts and a dual master cylinder for safety.

Ken, understand that a block in the garage is worth more than... Neat dream. Still, the cost of machining you block would probably be more than a good later short block. Years ago I saw a pre-war six with three carbs. The hood panel had to be modified for the rear carb. Never heard it run, but it was a nice looking setup.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/12/21 11:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Sadly, I think you're limited on speed parts for the Packards and scarcer for the 6. There's a whole industry/cult following in the "Henry" flatheads and many parts available. Shops that specialize, etc. I know of none remaining for Packards, and haven't seen any parts for sale in some time, but I don't actively hunt them, so may not know all the hoarders. West coast is a start.
Access to a dyno is probably the best way to eek out a few untapped ponies.
But if I was trying to up it substantially, I'd add some boost but looks like a ground up activity. Too much and you'll sling some flat steel. I doubt the valves would hold up to the bottle either. If you're successful, then you get into other drive train issues of holding and transmitting the power. This isn't a S or B BC where parts is parts. You'd probably want to get rid of any 6 V electrical and go electronic. More/better tuning and hotter spark.
Most of the 6 banger racers I've had contact with were OHV. Quite impressive. The V6s are even better.
You might find someone to carve you out a cam, maybe even a crank, or aluminum head, but again, the "one of" cost factor. A lot of things sound good as ideas until you probe under the surface. The difference is those that dream and those that commit and do. There's always someone out there, if you want to open your wallet, but make sure they know what they're doing. Do overs are twice expensive.

Posted on: 2016/12/22 15:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved