Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

2330 headlamp LED replacement?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Donald Cochrane
See User information
Is there an LED replacement for the 2330 headlamp?

Regards,
Donald Cochrane

Posted on: 2017/3/2 16:00
the second mouse got the cheese...
 Top  Print 

Re: 2330 headlamp LED replacement?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
no

Posted on: 2017/3/2 17:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if you are going to find anything -- halogen or LED -- that will match the P30d base and socket of the original 2330 bulb.

If not, you could come up with another pair of headlight buckets that would fit your exterior shell or housing and lens so you would not destroy the originals if the conversion did not work out, and it might be possible to remove the old socket and adapt a modern halogen socket and bulb to the bucket.

Here is a halogen bulb from Octane Lighting listed for use in a 47. The 47s have 7" sealed beams and I have never seen one converted to anything but a Halogen sealed beam and definitely not an individual bulb and socket but guess it could be done. Not sure how they would handle the lens though.

Here is specs on the original socket. You can get complete info and specs on the 2330 bulb and socket at Dons Bulbs.

EDIT: Don looks like he has found an LED bulb that will drop right in.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.10 KB)
209_58b8a668560f6.jpg 830X1136 px

Posted on: 2017/3/2 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There are these that say in the descriptive text will fit in place of a P30d.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 18:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don. Thanks. That looks like a good site to bookmark. It is a UK site so hopefully no large freight charge but at least they have something.

If Mr. Cochrane tries that drop in LED bulb it will be interesting to hear how it compares to the original both in brightness and side to side coverage. I believe one of the drawbacks of LED coverage is spread. Halogens are generally brighter than incandescents and have good coverage but run much hotter.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 18:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have several 27000 lumen high-ceiling LEDs at my Oregon workshop and, as bright as they are, if they are not high enough, the light is too directional but otherwise the shop is lit like daylight without the cord powering it from the nearby house even getting warn. I noticed that the recently-installed LED streetlights in my California neighborhood are considerably taller for the same reason so I can imagine LED headlights like these but not necessarily when used with the original reflectors.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 19:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I previously posted that I am trying to retrofit halogen or LED sealed beam units into the 39: Six buckets.
At the preliminary level it appears that the exterior portion of the headlight assembly for 7" unit for the Jeep available through Summit will allow the sealed beam unit to be secured inside the bucket with no significant modification to mess up the original housing and not interfere with the chrome trim rings.
I had hoped to secure a Universal Pacific halogen unit with integrated Amber LED lights at the bottom of the unit and use them for turn signals and parking lamps but cannot get clarification as to whether they offer the unit in 6 volt.
Does anyone have a lead on a supplier for 7" LED units to save power and
reduce heat. As little as the car will be used at night the halogen units are probably adequate.
While I am at it I would like to convert the brake/ tailight bulbs/ sockets to LED units inside the original housings for increased visibility.
Has anyone done this conversion. Again the question seems to be availability of 6 volt units....
Assume positive ground will not make a difference.
Trying to figure out parts availability before ordering a new wiring harness.
If anything works I will endeavor to post pictures.....although I will never promise to provide Howard's level of photo work.
We need to clone that guy.
thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/4/15 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Polarity sometimes makes a difference depending on the light design. LEDs are diodes which by nature are polarity-dependent but if they have certain internal or even external circuitry they can be polarity-independent.

Posted on: 2019/4/15 22:00
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Oldrookie
See User information
Check out ledlight.com. You may not find a 6 volt direct replacement, but you could use a step up converter to 12 volt and find a 12 volt led that suits your purpose. The step up converter is quite small and should fit behind the reflector.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 16:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming 1939 juniors take the same bulbs as 1938 juniors for the tail/brake lights, no socket or other conversion is needed. You can simply purchase 6-volt positive ground LED bulbs with appropriate bases and candlepower to fit existing lamps.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 18:33
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved