Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Off topic, but neat pic of Eddie Cantor with his Locomobile
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I know this off topic, but I thought forum members might like seeing this pic of Eddie Cantor with his Locomobile.

Attach file:

gif  (26.12 KB)
57744_58c3ffcea7f36.gif 306X243 px

Posted on: 2017/3/11 8:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Off topic, but neat pic of Eddie Cantor with his Locomobile
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

The Locomobile Junior Eight was an effort by Billy Durant to fill out the price gaps for his Durant Motors modeled on the Sloan ladder. He had purchased control of Locomobile in 1922 to be his corporate luxury marque. While its prestige reputation had been made by the gigantic Model 48 priced from $7,500 to $11,000, the Junior Eight was an 'assembled' car as were Durant's other makes: Star, Durant and Flint. Key to the being identified as an 'assembled' car was if its engine was bought from a proprietary engine maker such as Continental, Lycoming, Ansted, or Wiedeley.

The Junior Eight, though generally priced versus Packard Six class cars ($2,000 to $3,000), had a tiny 198.8 cu. in. ohv straight eight. Locomobile claimed the engine to be their own manufacture but was actually sourced from Continental; it wasn't a great engine for a car its size. The Locomobile line also gained a Lycoming-engined Model 8-80 to fill out the price spectrum. It was all for naught, sales fell every year until Locomobile ended production with the 1929 models. Durants lasted for a few more years until the Depression did it in in 1932.

Eddie Cantor was a rising entertainment star then, one which Billy Durant would have been delighted to have promote his Junior Eight that became the 1927 8-66; 1928 8-70. As we know, he became a frequent Packard owner later on. When Eddie traded his Locomobile Junior Eight roadster for a real luxury car at the Packard dealer, the dealer no doubt promoted its resale with "Previous Owner - The Great Eddie Cantor!". But, at a good low price that would move that 'dog' off the lot before it became worthless.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/3/11 14:38
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved