Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Craig's Panther Project - Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
For the carburetor linkage and accelerator pedal, I elected to use parts from the hot rod world. I had several reasons for this:

1) I'm not particularly happy with the straight up accelerator pedal used by Packard such as what is in my 55 Pat. The natural position for one's right foot is angled off slightly clockwise, not straight up.

2) The carb linkage for a 55-56 Caribbean is difficult to find and probably would be expensive and require modification to work with the Holley carbs I am using.

The accelerator pedal assembly is an aftermarket replacement for 1970-72 Chevelle (Summit AMD-X409-3470). It consists of the slanted pedal (angled clockwise), hinge, and pull-lever mechanism:

Resized Image

Resized Image\

The throttle cable is a replacement for 1968-72 Chevy SB (Summit GMK-4033-233-705):

Resized Image

The throttle linkage for dual quad is set up progressive (rear carb primary for light throttle, Summit MRG-3830G):

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2017/6/1 13:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like Edelbrock carbs??? Which models and CFM for the dual application? Did you need extra adapters or spacers to bolt them to the manifold?

Posted on: 2017/6/1 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
Looks like Edelbrock carbs??? Which models and CFM for the dual application? Did you need extra adapters or spacers to bolt them to the manifold?

2 Holley 9776 carbs (450 CFM each, Summit HLY-0-9776) specifically set up and pretuned for dual quad and tunnel ram applications. There are no chokes for instance.

Although the carb bores are the same diameter as the intake manifold bores, adapters are needed for the bolt pattern difference on the flange (Summit TRD-2062).

Craig

Posted on: 2017/6/1 14:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am curious what takes the place of the choke in your system. If someone wanted to replace the Rochesters on an otherwise ordinary dual quad engine this particular carb wouldn't seem like the appropriate choice. I remember Eric mentioning a specific Edelbrock for single carb replacement but don't think there was ever any info on duals.

Posted on: 2017/6/1 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56Quote:
Am curious what takes the place of the choke in your system.

Nothing but the notoriously large accelerator pump squirt of a Holley carb. Also, it's generally moderate to warm to hot weather in Pahrump, so chokes are not usually needed then. Remember that the Panther engine has headers and hotter than stock hydraulic cam, so it's somewhat like a race engine. Race engines do not have chokes in their carb(s).

I'll find out. LOL!

Craig

Posted on: 2017/6/1 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a picture of the final configuration of the throttle (inner) and cruise control (outer) linkage. I had to attach them to the highest pivot hole on the rear carb throttle arm to get WOT.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/6/24 11:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking good. With the fellow doing the 356 engine using an aftermarket self contained TB fuel injection -- as well as Hank's plans for his Clipper -- I am curious why you chose to stay old school carbs with all the other mods you are doing for your Panther. I would have thought a nice throttle body or two would have fit the car well.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I like "old school" even though the cruise control (comfort) and LED lights (safety & efficiency) are modern. If I were going to turbocharge it, I definitely would have gone EFI. As it is the carbs are "period correct."

Craig

Posted on: 2017/6/24 12:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, all the above is true.

No, once one starts going down that logic path, the only sensible transportation mode is driving an electric vehicle instead of a Packard.

Maybe, pick a build philosophy and stick with it. On my '55 Stude pickup with the Packard V8, I decided to build what S-P could have done in '55. But then, mission creep and I ended up using Vintage Air instead of the Lehigh and a Chevy power steering, since there was no compatible S-P unit.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/6/24 12:40
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved