Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Radial tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Good Morning Fellow Packardites,

I'm looking to find a cross reference table from bias to radial tires, and recommended vendors for my '48 Touring Sedan.
Yes, I realize they are tube type. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Posted on: 2017/4/5 7:57
 Top  Print 

Re: '48 Radial tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's one from Coker in their hardcopy catalog, probably on their website as well. If your rims are in good condition you should have no problem with tubeless tires of either type. Be aware there may be clearance issues with rear tires of larger profile than the OEM tire; at it's most severe you may have to deflate tires to install and then inflate once they are mounted.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.57 KB)
177_58e4eaa454b83.jpg 996X392 px

Posted on: 2017/4/5 8:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And here is one more chart from DiamondBack. It has essentially the same info as the Coker chart but gives one more important number and that is the height or diameter of the tires. Radials generally being fatter tend to have a bit less height which can affect speedo reading significantly if the size change is very much.

There are some tire conversion places online which also give other radial dimensions for those interested but one good site also has a speedometer correction calculator. The link to that section is below the dimension information. After entering the data it will give an idea of how much a size change will affect the speedometer reading.https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/

Attach file:

jpg  (155.98 KB)
209_58e4f6ec7198e.jpg 1498X718 px

Posted on: 2017/4/5 8:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
last year I got a set of American Classic wide white walls for my '55 Clipper. These tires are radials, but have a higher profile like bias plies. Plus they have sort of fluted edges near the tread. I have had old car guys look at them and think they were bias plies.

One note, though -- they are not cheap! Mine cost me about $260 each. Ouch!!!

http://www.americanclassictires.com/

Posted on: 2017/4/5 14:46
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mine cost me about $260 each. Ouch!!!

I'd be real happy with a price that low. Though they still look like nearly new tires I'm thinking seriously about replacing the 27-year old Lesters on my '34. Looks like whitewalls plus tubes and gutter strips will be about $350 each.

Posted on: 2017/4/5 14:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I've had Coker for years and LOVE them.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 16:41
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
According to that chart my 56 speedometer should be close.
I'm on the Pa. Turnpike a good bit and they have measured miles. Guess I have to dig out my stopwatch to verify the speedo.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 22:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved