Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

53 Clipper and OD
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
New to this board and new Clipper owner. 288 and 3 speed manual. I would like to install overdrive. Is that possible? If so, would it be better to seek parts car for this purpose. I want a driver that I can trust. Currently gets warm at 60 mph. At idle car is at 165 degrees or so. Seems to idle well and doesn't smoke. Compression check next. Need direction and suggestions on this sweet ride. Love to drive but clutch is engaged just before full pedal release. I can wrench a bit but haven't ever had a car like this one!

Pic below. Thanks y'all

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (492.29 KB)
157631_58ffebdf5058d.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/25 19:38
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Clipper and OD
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Yes you can install overdrive. As you will need the trans, driveshaft, electrical controls and engagement cable it may be best to get a parts car.

It sounds like you need a new clutch.

"It gets warm at 60 mph" It's supposed to, explain what you consider warm is.

Posted on: 2017/4/25 20:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tall Steve,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '53 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

I've also cropped, rotated and reposted your photo because, whether you're in the Southern or Northern hemisphere, it's difficult to look at it the way it is!

Attach file:

jpg  (76.63 KB)
226_590012ded8e1f.jpg 1149X610 px

Posted on: 2017/4/25 22:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those are great cars ,easy to live with, and comfortable to drive. My very similar 51 with overdrive took me on a very fast 200 mile errand in the rain last weekend.

It is not difficult to install overdrive since you already have straight stick. I can supply you with a complete setup with all the factory correct bits and pieces. PM me if interested. You can do your clutch at the same time with hardly any extra labor.

Yes, how warm is warm? Check your initial timing (7 degrees) and that the vacuum advance is working. Those flatheads loose a lot of power and make a lot more heat if they are even a little retarded.

Posted on: 2017/4/26 4:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks for your reply. I just bought one of those laser heat guns, so I only know what it is at idle. I will try to take it out this weekend and determine temp that concerns me.

The car is in my shop located about 90 miles from where I stay during the week. Adding OD is at the top of my list after replacing a leaky gas tank, gas line and rebuilding the carb.

Thanks again

Steve

Posted on: 2017/4/26 5:39

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
I always get looks when I drive the Packard from others on the road. Very fun to drive. Yes I will PM you about setup for OD! Very interested. Appreciate your support on the clutch change! I have a couple of Corvettes that I have restored or repaired through the years. First Packard!

Posted on: 2017/4/26 5:43

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks. That picture is when I drove to Atlanta to pick it up. I was very excited to say the least. Good thing I trailered it back too. The radiator sprung a leak several weeks after getting back to TN. Would not have liked having that problem on the road.

I will join the registry too. Thanks for asking me to do so.

Thanks again

Steve

Posted on: 2017/4/26 5:47

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
All temp gauge's can read a bit differently, but my car points between the M and the P in the word "T E M P" on the gauge when fully warmed up and doesn't really move off of that. It actually goes down a bit at higher speeds because.
My '54s running an Ultramatic what doesn't lock up, so, at higher speeds, the motor is for sure getting a workout. Also, not sure if it makes any difference to operating temp, but I am running a 288 head on a 327 block.

Now, when I was back in Calif, and it was a really hot day (100+) and I was cruising around and hitting stop light after stop light, it would point at the "P" in the word temp. But, it never pointed at the "HOT".

Now, Adam, who has the exact same model as I do, his gauge points between the T & E. So, now sure if his motor is running that much cooler, or the gauge and senders between our two cars are just our of calibration.

If you are not puking coolant, then you should be ok. I've got a 7psi cap on mine, and the only time it has overflowed coolant is when I have overfilled the radiator and haven't given it any expansion room.

I am using the same radiator that came with my car, as when I found the car, it was still full of green coolant and no rust. I did backflush it and the engine and clear the water distro tube, but other than that no repair as done to it. My water pump was replaced with a Kanter rebuild as the one on the car was leaking around the bushings.

Posted on: 2017/4/26 9:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Note to Mal...You are a 'Cool Dude' in my book because you do cool things like crop and rotate photographs for members. I believe that everyone appreciates the special little things that you do. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/4/26 10:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mal has been an invaluable help to me here on the website!

Also Howard, the Dave(s), Hank and others that pitch in here on the Forum to help folks with questions.

Remember folks, it takes a village, and we were all new at one point!

Posted on: 2017/4/26 10:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved