Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window Channel
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Last year I had the drivers front side window break. So being the end of the season I decided I would hold off till now. Since I had to have a new window lift bar I would also replace the window run channel for that door. I keep reading that you have to be very careful about any screw heads being to high. Has anyone does this and how did you work it all out. My first thought was to use 3m weather stripping cement. Any advise?

Thanks

John
1948 Packard Custom Eight

Posted on: 2017/5/10 7:02
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: Window Channel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can use screws of pop rivets to attach the channel. Just be careful that the head is buried in the felt and rubber at the back of the channel so it can not extend into the path of the glass.

For the hole locations in the channel, sometimes one will fall between or right on the edge of the metal segments and when the fastener is attached the segments will just push aside. Others will be right in the middle of a segment so an actual drilled hole is needed.

I use flat head screws or rivets so the countersunk portion under the head is able to push material aside and burrow down into the felt and rubber. Screws do it on their own but if you use pop rivets, place the rivet in the hole and then add regular threaded nuts over the pin as needed to build up a solid thickness of maybe 1/4" before placing the pin in the rivet tool. That way the nose of the tool will be able to apply pressure directly to the rivet head and pull the pin to set the rivet tightly without distorting the sides of the channel.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 8:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I took mine apart to rechrome, but haven't put back, but they're only held on to the vent window tab with two rivets. I didn't see any other fasteners in the channel run except at the end. It's on my list of to do's somewhere in the 4000's, so let us know if you find a solution. I thought it was an odd size channel/mine was damaged, but more investigation said it was a common size. There's a separate channel for the vertical/vent side, and I think those have clips or glue in. {I changed them on the Cad.} I think Restoration Specialties has the stuff in their catalog.
You have to take everything out to do this job, so plan accordingly.

Posted on: 2017/5/10 12:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/5/10 16:36
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved