Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What happens if I take the thermostat out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Do I need the thermostat here in So. California? It's usually 65-85 degrees? I'd like your thoughts.

Posted on: 2017/5/26 12:03
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Re: What happens if I take the thermostat out?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should keep the thermostat.

The thermostats main purpose is to stop flow of coolant to quickly get the engine to operating temperature. A too cold engine will not burn away the condensation which is a byproduct of internal combustion engines. The oil is more prone to sludge forming and contaminant buildup as well as being diluted with raw gas which cannot burn off in a cold engine. Mileage also suffers. Once the engine is within a decent heat range the thermostat opens to allow coolant to flow and keep the engine within the proper temp range.

An aux purpose is to slightly restrict and slow the flow of coolant thru the radiator so the heat transfer has a chance to actually take place. On some engines flow is so great that without a thermostat or other restriction the water rushes thru a radiator so fast it doesn't get a chance to cool. Engineering designed a thermostat into the system and it should remain.

Posted on: 2017/5/26 12:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I am running a 47 Packard with no thermostat in Nashville. No problems. The main purpose of a thermostat is to get the engine to operating temp-the main reason is for passenger comfort. In colder areas it does effect the performance of the car-the engine is designed to operate at a certain temp. Generally here in Nashville even in the winter the temp with generally be close to the temp with a thermostat after 15-20 min of driving. Mechanics will usually tell you under their breath in most cases not needed-however with that being said all cars still have a thermostat.

Posted on: 2017/5/26 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I do not think that the world of mechanics knows more about engines than the army of engineers who have been designing engines since the 20's. Thermostats are not for passenger comfort,they are primarily for efficient engine operation and long engine life. Cooler engines build up sludge and warmer engines run more efficiently. New cars have 195 degree or hotter thermostats.

Yes, you can take it out and your engine will not disintegrate, but do you have a degree in thermodynamics or engine design?? Are you smarter than the engineers at E.Grand Blvd, Dearborn Ford or Detroit GM, or Mazda, Toyota etc??

Posted on: 2017/5/26 20:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
Brenda, I?m an engineer (graduated at Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart) and now teaching and coaching automotive-mechanics (A job you have to study 3,5 years here in Germany). I?m collecting cars for 30 years, at present I do own 25. So I do have a little experiance and background. As said before the thermostat is neccessary for warming up correctly AND for the correct cooling down if hot.

I sometimes answer these "can I ..."-questions with: yes, you can for example drill a screw in your knee and regulate how it hurts!

Posted on: 2017/5/27 0:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
The thermostat stays in! I appreciate all of your knowlege and always listen and do as you teach. So many others learn from all of us to keep these cars around for years to come.

Posted on: 2017/5/27 18:13
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved