Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 176

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, Don B, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard/Starting Problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
I have a 1951 Packard that has not ran for at least 10 years. I have already done all I can with the fluids etc. I had to wire the engine as everything was apart when I got it. I have a new battery, positive ground. The regulator and coil look good but they have not been tested. I cannot seem to get a spark to the plugs. Any suggestions big or small are requested. I want to start this puppy up.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard/Starting Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Did you install new points and condensor? At a minumum dress up the points with a point file and check the gap Clean up the rotor tip while you have the cap off. If, after examining, you want to replace the cap, rotor and points/condensor you can probably get them at your local NAPA dealer. Come back and tell us if you have any success or failure.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Frank1951 wrote: I have a 1951 Packard.........

G'day Frank,
to Packardinfo and good luck in getting started. And please don't forget to add your '51 to the Owner's Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mal, I thought I saw you standing behind me.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Frank1951,

Congrats on resuscitating your 51.

Randy and Mal are 2 of the busiest guys on this website. If they can't help you get your Packard off life support and 'sparkin' on the Owner Registry, nobody can.

Good Luck
Keep us posted,
DanL

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:10
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In your first post, you mentioned having to do some rewiring. Was that just plug wires or more involved? In addition to Randy's suggestions, did you have to do anything regarding the supply voltage to coil and do you have the 6 volts there and good continuity down to distributor & points.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without knowing what wiring was removed that you had to reassemble, I'd suggest that it's often easiest in the long run to go back to basics. Have someone crank the engine with the starter while you observe the direction the rotor rotates (CW or CCW). Then remove at least #1 spark plug, use your finger over the hole, and put #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke. Then check the points, they should either be just opening or on the verge of opening, either will be enough to get the engine started and you can fine-tune the timing later. Then note the position of the metal end of the rotor to see which tower of the distributor cap it is under, and that becomes the high tension lead to #1 plug. Then simply install the others in order (1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4) following around the cap in the direction of rotor rotation. Assuming everything else is OK and you have current to the coil, it should start.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 10:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
All of the wiring in the engine bay was disconnected and some of it in pretty bad shape. I replaced some of the wiring with new and installed new connectors where needed.

I do not know how to measure the voltage at the coil. Also, the wiring diagram shows the positive on the coil connected to the distributor. Is this correct if you know?

Today since the rain has stopped, I will replace the points and condenser and see what happens.

Thank you for any input.
Frank

Posted on: 2008/12/18 13:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved