Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 180 Clutch and Throwout Bearing Questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
HH56 - Thanks for clevis pin specs - ask and 'ye shall receive!

Quote:
If the pressure plate is out I hope when the clutch was disassembled someone followed this procedure and placed the nuts behind the fingers. Maybe not as big a deal on other engines but on the senior 356 it will make life a lot easier when replacing the pressure plate if you use nuts to block the release levers first so they do not stick out. It is a pain to get the nuts in position with the plate off the flywheel and everything under spring tension but you will find a lot of interference with the bellhousing and throwout fork or linkage if the levers stick out. It is also a good idea to tie the nuts together on a loop of string so if one falls out of position and drops inside you can retrieve it.

I am not sure I 100% follow this. The clutch and pressure plate are new (rebuilt, but the friction material is virgin and there are new springs/etc in the pressure plate), and I just got the trans installed to line up the clutch before I bolt down the pressure plate. I do not have the TOB installed currently because I am just using the input shaft to line everything up - see photo.

Is the procedure you showed a picture of recommending that the 3/8" nuts are just used to space the fingers out (i.e. not threaded onto anything, just jammed in there to keep them from moving due to neutral state spring force) so you can get the trans with the TOB and clutch fork installed seated before bolting down the pressure plate?

Ozstatman,

I tried uploading a jpeg to the registry, and then realized it says ".jpg" only. I converted to .jpg, but it still doesn't work

I did attach a picture in case anyone following this thread is curious.

Attach file:

jpeg  (276.85 KB)
160461_593df6bcdaa71.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (193.05 KB)
160461_593df6cd1b328.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/6/11 21:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What the nuts do is simulate continuously stepping on the clutch pedal so as to keep the pressure plate retracted. The levers are kept inside the housing and with the pressure plate retracted, that allows the entire assy to slip up past the clutch plate and TOB easier as well as to be able to insert and tighten the retaining bolts to the flywheel without fighting the springs as much. There is not a lot of clearance in the 356 bellhousing once the TOB and fork is in position.

Posted on: 2017/6/11 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
It might be the photo was too big, but I thought BigKev had eased that restriction. So I've taken the liberty of adding your photo to the Registry entry.

Posted on: 2017/6/11 21:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Quote:
What the nuts do is simulate continuously stepping on the clutch pedal so as to keep the pressure plate retracted. The levers are kept inside the housing and with the pressure plate retracted, that allows the entire assy to slip up past the clutch plate and TOB easier as well as to be able to insert and tighten the retaining bolts to the flywheel without fighting the springs as much. There is not a lot of clearance in the 356 bellhousing once the TOB and fork is in position.

I'm picking up what you're putting down. It is tight in there, and it kind of surprised me how the bell was designed to be put on before the flywheel -- no way I can get to the upper two pressure plate bolts without rotating the motor. I'll keep the trick with the 3/8" nuts in mind if I start having trouble.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Posted on: 2017/6/11 21:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
To tighten the upper bolts it is necessary on many makes and models to rotate the engine

Posted on: 2017/6/11 23:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I did attach a picture in case anyone following this thread is curious...

Really nice car! Be assured that followers of this thread will eye provided pictures with great interest. For entertaining reasons I would like to deliver subsequently the source of the illustration.
Enjoy PackardInfo.com!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.42 KB)
757_593e327a9e5a7.jpg 372X500 px

Posted on: 2017/6/12 1:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Currently, I am putting the car back together to be a daily driver with an aftermarket under dash A/C system, 12v alternator, and electronic ignition/FI tech fuel injection.

Custom Machined crank/harmonic damper to mount serpentine crank pulley (modified SB Chevy pulley)

Modified Small Block Chevy serpentine waterpump pulley

Custom bracketry to mount Sanden A/C compressor and Ford 3g alternator

Petronix Ignition

Fitech Fuel Injection throttle body unit and fuel command center
"

The above notes in your Registry entry are sure to bring questions from those who would like to know more.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 3:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Hey Guys, Quick update in case anyone else happens to find this thread in the future and faces a similar problem.

The throwout bearing from Kanter fit right on and was a super easy press on/press of swap.

Also, I ended up figuring out that you can't fight the clutch fork in once the clutch and pressure plate are installed. So I pulled those out, and took the advice posted on here about using some nuts to push the forks in. I am posting a picture here to help out those in the futre.

Attach file:

png  (766.95 KB)
160461_594cb4bb21d5b.png 576X1024 px

Posted on: 2017/6/23 1:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved