Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 162

Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ignition Wires
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has anyone ever had a problem with spark plug wires that just don't seem to stay or snap into the distro cap. I bought a set of wires from Max Merritt, and you had to assembly them yourself. So it came with all the boots and terminals. But the Distro caps ends really don't seat that well in the cap. They pull right out. Bad terminal ends? Or perhaps they are crimped to tight?

What do you guys use for wires?

Posted on: 2007/5/27 17:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Ignition Wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
IIRC, there is a slight groove down inside each tower on the dist. cap, and a rib on the terminal end catches on that groove to help retain the wire to the cap.

There used to be a special tool with a wire brush on the end for cleaning the inside of those towers, but you had to be careful not to overdo it - else the terminal will not release once installed.

For wires, I suggest you get a spool of Packard wire, some boots, terminals, and a crimper and make yer own. That way you know they're right - provided you have access to a correct set of wires to go by as an example.

Posted on: 2007/5/27 18:41
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The cap is new. So it's pretty clean. I think it's a problem with the terminals I am using. If I bend the ridges on the terminals out a little bit then they seem the snap in better.

Posted on: 2007/5/27 19:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The terminals should be have a split up one side of them. Expand the OD of the terminal and push it place. This a fairly common procedure that usually needs to be done when ever wire is removed from cap. Also may have to compress the spark plug terminal end if it is not one of the banded type.

Posted on: 2007/5/27 20:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have found that the easiest way to do that is stick a spark plug in the distributor cap end of the wires. It usually expands the brass end enough to get a good grip. OR, you can wiggle the plug around in there to get it a little bigger. Cheap and easy, plus no tools required.

Posted on: 2007/5/27 22:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

That's a good tip for modern caps (like the HEI distributor you put in your Pat), which have a terminal much like the top of a spark plug.

However, BigKev is using the old point-style distributor, which have terminals more like the coil tower.

While BigKev has a new cap, attached is a pic of the tool I was talking about.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.14 KB)
103_465ad7a5779a3.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2007/5/28 8:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Actually, I meant the tip to be for the old style distributor caps. With an HEI cap, you'd want to make the ends smaller to fit over the "nipple" on the end of the cap. On the earlier ones, you'd want to make it bigger, to fit tightly into the cap.

Posted on: 2007/5/28 11:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
IIRC last time I installed a new set, the 1960s-70s, 389 Pontiac wires seemed close enough. None of the wires were excessively long, none were too short, and they plugged in similar to the OEMs.Of course I am not real picky when it comes to such details.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/28 22:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved