Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

John Brinegar, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dwell / Tachometer Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'm hoping to pick up a dwell/tach meter off of eBay or Craigslist. My question is, do I need to get one that is specifically for 6volt positive ground, or is voltage/ground even relevant to the pre-70's meters? Most of what I've seen were 'found in Granpa's garage' and don't have the manual with them. In one case the manual was there, but supposedly made no mention of required voltage/grounding. Any help/information is appreciated as always.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 13:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Dwell / Tachometer Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a 6 volt car you need a 6 volt dwell meter. But they are not specific to positive or negative ground, you just reverse the leads to change polarity.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have a "vintage" Penske tach/dwell meter and it doesn't care what the voltage is as long as I hook up pos to pos and neg to neg

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Same with my old Craftsman Tach/Dwell meter.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:10
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recently bought a Sears Tach-Dwell-Volt Meter. For the Tach/Dwell it works with either 6- or 12-volt and + or - ground. I miss using the great old Sun equipment. I wish I had all that stuff now. Oh well . . .

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe it's got a "smart circuit"? Really, the Sun test equipment was terrific stuff for sure. I've got a friend with a complete Sun distributor test machine; if I was a bit younger and doing as much car work as I used to, I'd buy it.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have a vintage mechanical dwell meter possibly made before the electronic ones came on the market. I can post a photo if anyone is interested. It is a beautifully made device and comes in a lovely little velvet lined box.I think it is Stewart Warner.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 20:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C.C.Collision
See User information
i have an older one and takes a battery ,it dsnt care what voltage vehicle its on.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have a vintage mechanical dwell meter possibly made before the electronic ones came on the market. I can post a photo if anyone is interested. It is a beautifully made device and comes in a lovely little velvet lined box.I think it is Stewart Warner.

I'd love to see a picture.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks guys. I picked up an inexpensive meter off eBay. I'll let you know how it works out.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 0:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved