Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 259

Tobs, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 packard clipper hood stuck closed
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dave55
See User information
just purchased this 55 clipper custom a short time ago ,started by changing fluids, brake repair , carb. repair fuel pump, you know the grind ,well the hood would not latch so oiled latch did some slight adjustments on the bayonet .and it closed great ,only problem can't pull hood release back far enough to release hood ,any you run in to this problem, thanks in advance

Posted on: 2017/7/11 11:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 packard clipper hood stuck closed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have had it happen and it was a project to get it to release. If your problem is like mine, I suspect there is a slight misalignment between the hood portion and the lower latch allowing the hood part to be tilted or positioned slightly rearward enough to be caught under the edge of the part the release lever operates.

IIRC, to release mine I put a 90 degree bend at the end of a piece of flat steel -- maybe 1/2 wide x 1/8 thick steel bar stock with the bend being maybe 1/2 inch long to make a kind of hook. With the lever held fully released I was able to work that steel up the same opening in the grill the lever uses and catch the end of the hood portion protruding down out of the latch. Once I had a hold on the protruding stem I pulled it forward slightly while holding the release lever fully open so it would clear the edge of the catch and let the hood open. I believe it did take a few tries and strong words to get the sequence just right.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.76 KB)
209_596503689f23f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (120.51 KB)
209_59650373e2b8d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (54.86 KB)
209_596503881dcfd.jpg 1084X590 px

Posted on: 2017/7/11 11:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hi Dave:

Which model Clipper Custom do you own? I think if you ever get the hood open again, you will really enjoy your car!!!

Posted on: 2017/7/11 14:35
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day dave55,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/7/11 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave for including your '55 Clipper Custom Constellation Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. That was quick!

Posted on: 2017/7/11 17:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I had a hard time getting my hood on my 55 Patrician to latch. Comparing my car to others, I found that my car did not have the brace reinforcementhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/00_Bonnet.pdf 0.03463

I think this helped stiffen the area where the upper lock attaches.

When you get your hood open, look for a piece of metal that bolts to the hood ornament and the area where the upper lock is.

Posted on: 2017/7/11 22:50
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dave55
See User information
thanks to every one for there ideas on how to get the hood open,come to find out it was not the bayonet but the secondary latch ,some how it got bent enough so i could not pull hood release lever over.had to pry lever over with a bar and push and pull up and down on hood until it released .once opened i was able to straighten out the latch, works great now.

Posted on: 2017/7/13 15:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved