Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard 120 touring sedan carpeting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
Hello,

I have been trying to find out what is the correct carpet for my 1939 120 four door touring sedan. It currently has a mottled grey / black loop pile carpet that, frankly, looks cheap. In my research I have found that it likely should be the so-called "hog hair" carpet. Is that accurate?

If so, the next question is color. The car currently has a silver grey interior with a faint houndstooth pattern in the seats, though I would like to replace this with grey leather some day. Should the carpeting match the rest of the upholstered surfaces or would it be appropriate to go slightly darker, perhaps to a charcoal or maybe even a dark brown (to match the dash)? In the 1939 Packard accessory manual it looks like the carpet is darker than the seats but that could be a scanning contrast error.

Thank you,
Zach

Posted on: 2017/7/12 7:54
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Packard 120 touring sedan carpeting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A good source for information as well as a source for hogshair and other vintage-type carpeting is Bill Hirsch in Newark, NJ. He's been supplying carpet, leather and wool broadcloths to our hobby for more than 50 years, owned and restored many Packards. You can check his advertisements in almost any of the hobby publications but I'd suggest rather than browsing the web catalog you call and speak with Bill directly.

http://www.hirschauto.com/

Posted on: 2017/7/12 8:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The front was a rubber mat. As far as I know all reaR carpeting on junior cars was the same color, a grey/brown mix of what is called hogshair.CORRECTION SEE MY NEXT POST

Deluxe equipped cars of some models may have front carpeting, serial # on data plate (decal) has a D in it after the first 4 digits

Posted on: 2017/7/12 10:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My all original 1939 Six Touring Sedan had carpeting in the front but was too far gone to determine the color. It appeared to be a taupe or tan shade.

Posted on: 2017/7/12 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Was leather seating an option on a 1939 120 sedan? If so, fitment would be exceedingly rare.

Posted on: 2017/7/12 11:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
When all else fails I use the Packard Parts Manual.. It lists a front mat for 39 Six and no front carpet. In the rear it lists a woolen carpet

Posted on: 2017/7/12 12:47
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
My data plate is missing; it has some sort of sheet metal stamped with "Berry Motor Cars", the serial number, and a date of 12/25/38. I assume it may have been a Deluxe because it has the fancy ashtrays in the rear arm rests.

Either way I plan to replace the carpeting in both the front and rear.

Posted on: 2017/7/12 13:05
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
it has some sort of sheet metal stamped with "Berry Motor Cars", the serial number, and a date of 12/25/38

That sure sounds like a description of the patent (data) plate. How about a photo of it?

Fred said earlier that if your car was a Deluxe it would have a "D" stamped as part of the vehicle number. I question if that is correct for a 1939 model. My understanding is that stamping as part of the vehicle number for a Deluxe would be a "DE" and that was applicable for 1940 and 1941 but not 1939. If I'm wrong I look forward to a correction.

Posted on: 2017/7/12 13:56
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
It isn't the patent plate, though I do have a blank one that I could stamp and affix in the proper place.

Attach file:

jpg  (141.54 KB)
67563_5966739541153.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/7/12 14:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure looks like the patent plate to me. Vehicle number is the correct font, size, spacing and format.

Posted on: 2017/7/12 14:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved