Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bypass/replace trans oil cooler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
RE: 1953 2662 Packard Clipper

I have decided to remove the stock (in the lower rad hose) trans oil cooler and go to an add on unit that will attach to the front of the radiator. the original cooler has a split seam and I don't see any kind of repair worthwhile. I plan to cut the existing trans oil lines back and attach hoses to the new unit and put the cooler in the middle of,and bottom of the radiator. I know it's an easy job but sometimes I make a decision that isn't particularly smart...so any comments would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 11:22
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: Bypass/replace trans oil cooler
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With O_D's experience in this thread, if eliminating the factory cooler I would want to make sure it is well in the airflow from the fan. If you could envision a stationary situation like his I might even think about a small electric fan for the cooler.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That will probably work just fine if you don't plan to use the car during cold winter months and can avoid situations where the car remains essentially running but motionless on very hot days. If you will be driving during winter months with perhaps sub-freezing temperatures, you air-to-air cooler will be getting an arctic blast and without the factory unit to reheat the fluid, the fluid may never warm up to proper temperature.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 11:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Small world HH, I was reading about this subject on the 55-56 forum when you posted on my question. Thank for the referral. As to size, can someone who has used the air to air cooler please advise what would be an optimal size for mounting in front of the rad.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 11:58
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd leave the existing lines in place and use a coupler to extend those lines to your new cooler. That way, if you or someone else ever wanted to revert it back to stock, they could do it without having to run new lines all the way back from the tranny.

Posted on: 2017/8/7 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved