Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

replacement power steering pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
where would be a good place to get a new/ rebuilt bendix pump for the power steering in my 56 patrician? my pump is toasted bad, ie not a good core, i would say.

i know kanters has them, but ive priced it out, and im over $450 to get one from them, plus their crappy slow shipping.

is there a reputable place that is more reasonable??

Posted on: 2008/12/26 16:04
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Re: replacement power steering pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe Kanters has theirs done by Lares, a major name in the business and they advertise regularly in Hemmings. You could check with them, buying direct might be a small bit cheaper. Otherwise buy a rebuild kit, I seem them from time to time on Ebay.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my experience is limited, but i dont thinnk it is rebuildable.

the outer rotor is stuck in its race. i can still turn it with a large socket wrench, but otherwise it seems melted in, and i cant remove it.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 16:32
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As the majority of V8s had power steering, used pumps are very plentiful and I'd think your chances of getting a decent one at a reasonable price are excellent. Try Mike Dulinski, Joel Ray or Bob Stolzfus.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
are there any differences between the 56 pumps and earlier ones from say 53 54 55?

Posted on: 2008/12/26 17:01
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The rotor sets are the same but shaft, bodies different--most likely due to the different mounting method & brackets from 53-4 to 55-6. There are some other differences also so doesn't look like early years a viable option.

All 55-6 will interchange & mount, however there are different pressures specified and pressure relief valve assy components for Monroe vs Bendix so some of your old parts might need to swap if you wind up with a different unit.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
ok thanks for the info. i just seem to notice more of the earlier ones in my travels.

i hope to get in contact with a local machine shop tommorow to try and get an estimate.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:55
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just take it apart to determine what it needs.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
it is apart. the outer rotor dosnt seem to want to turn in its race. it looks like the race for the outer rotor might have melted. when the rest of the pump is completely dissasembled, should the outer rotor come right out like the inner one? or is there something holding it in? i can rotate it in the race if i force it, but not by hand.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:17
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see only a front bearing retainer. The rotor is in a sleeve or bearing type ring and IIRC, both rotors will slide out with no difficulty other than the key on inner rotor spine sometimes needs persuasion. Sounds to me like the outer rotor has galled or melted the "bearing" it rotates in.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.65 KB)
209_4955926d5bbdd.jpg 668X495 px

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved