Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Packard PPG paint colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Does anyone out there know where to get the paint
PPG Dal-70580-DQE better known as Sardonyx for a 1955 Packard? I tried my local auto paint supplier and they said they could not get that color from ppg anymore

Posted on: 2017/10/21 7:51
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard PPG paint colors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
V8 Packards do not show in the TCP Global auto color databasehttp://www.autocolorlibrary.com which goes back to the early days. They probably have the chart and possibly could make the paint but just haven't listed it in the drop down menu. If they or the paint store cannot help you may need to take a small removable part such as the gas tank filler lid to the store and have it custom matched.

If you are wanting the paint to touch up part of your car that may be the best solution anyway. After 60+ years the old paint would probably have faded or color shifted. Unless you are painting a large section separated in some fashion from another similar color area, anything painted with new paint made from formula could stick out worse than what you were trying to touch up.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PPG had no problem coming up with paint mixed to match the 1956 colors on my Caribbean.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 9:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

WauhopM wrote:
Does anyone out there know where to get the paint
PPG Dal-70580-DQE better known as Sardonyx for a 1955 Packard? I tried my local auto paint supplier and they said they could not get that color from ppg anymore

A good professional auto paint store that supplies auto painters should be able to match anything, especially with computer capabilities today.

As for PPG... they didn't supply this color anyway as far as I know. This is despite the fact that they and other paint companies issued color chip sheets and formula designations. The company that supplied Sardonyx to Packard was Rinshed-Mason... in nitrocellulose lacquer. But again, this makes no difference. A good pro automotive paint supplier shop today ought to be able to match anything.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 13:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
PPG has all the formulations, but you have to get them from the PPG Color Library. Their number is (800) 647-6050. They have all the colors that do not show up in the dealers standard listings. PPG will only release the actual formula to an authorized dealer, so the dealer will have to call them. I have found that dealers seem to be reluctant to make that call.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Aren't the color chips in the reference. packinfo...

The Packard paint chips have the mix.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 10:16
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Riki, the formulas on the old Packard chips are to make nitrocellulose lacquer (or in some cases Duco enamel) with pigments that for the most part haven't been available in years.

And scanning from the old chips is notoriously inaccurate.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I believe that TCP Global, while they cannot tell you so, uses PPG paint for their "Restoration" line and they still provide lacquer to those who live in states where it is not prohibited. You might call them and they might be willing to give PPG a call to get the formulas.

However, as mentioned above color of a paint on a car will change with age and a good color matching shop would be your best bet for small repairs. On the other hand if one was repainting the entire car and wanted the formula then TCP might be worth exploring. The cost of their Restoration line is about 2/3's that of buying PPG from a dealer.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 13:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Tri cry. Global is local. I can check ..but they done paint for me before.

They started as a home paint store..then went auto paint.

Then...sold to ppg..

Bought Nason lacquer..and acrilc enamel..from them..70 s. And 80 s. 90 s. I have a gallon of black acrylic lacquer never opened..but it dried up.. They said they can probably. Get it back...but that's before.. The moron state banned auto lacquer..

The pictures of my for 400 shows it..the enamel held up great.. Lacquer..nope.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 22:48
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well I finally went to Bill Flannery auto to get the paint for the car they ran the paint chip through their computer base and told me: This color is not available can you leave the paint chip with us to see if we can mix something. Well I picked up the paint yesterday they said they had to make a custom blend to match it the cost for a QUART $130. I guess that is the price you pay for uniqueness!!!!! They also told me a gallon of this stuff would run $400!

Posted on: 2017/10/26 3:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved