Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Suspension of 1955 Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

Laura55
See User information
I am a new owner of a 1955 Packard Patrician. The car sits with the front very low and the back end at a "normal" height. After looking the car over, I see 3 wires from the front end of the compensator motor (suspension) & a bracket without anything attached. I have read several links from the forum regarding this but still need a good picture. Would someone be willing to give me some direction & place a picture of your compensator motor area here for me to view? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2017/10/22 14:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Suspension of 1955 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Laura55,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query although I'm sure someone who can will be along soon.

However I invite you to include your '55 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 14:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are some photos Stewart took of his 55 setup. Not clear from your post if you just have a bracket with no electrical components attached or if you have all the components on the bracket but disconnected wires.

If you will confirm exactly what you have and if needed then we can provide some more suggestions. The control switch is a black box bolted to the frame and located a short distance away from the compensator. It will also have 3 wires going to it but the terminal placement will be different depending on if it is the original 55 or was upgraded with a later switch.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.08 KB)
209_59ecf6c82dc7c.jpg 937X1049 px

jpg  (263.49 KB)
209_59ecf6dbd84bf.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (59.57 KB)
209_59ecf6e6a8bd6.jpg 1367X792 px

jpg  (32.62 KB)
209_59ecf845568a2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2017/10/22 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Laura55
See User information
Thank you Ozstatman. I will register.

And, thank you HH56. Per your pictures, I am missing the control switch as seen in the first picture. In the second picture, there is a turnbuckle that is not attached to anything. I am unsure about it.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.68 KB)
167890_59ed1f1564218.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (10.41 KB)
167890_59ed1f28bf0ce.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2017/10/22 17:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The turnbuckle and rod attaches between the main bar and a lever on the switch and provides the mechaniocal link so the switch knows when the car is out of level.

There is a NOS 56 switch on ebay now which was the later version and was a factory retrofit to 55s but you will need to change the wire terminals on your car to hook it up. Not hard to do and having the wires in a weather proof enclosure does help longevity. Maybe not as important on 55s because everything else electrical is exposed but there were corrosion problems with the 55 switch terminals in wet climates. In 56 almost all the TL electrical was moved or better protected.

Kanter and Max Merritt will have the switch in a reworked version which has the time delay working on modern solid state electronics instead of the original heated bimetal strip. Kanter doesn't have a website to view the item but here is Max Merritt's offering of an original 55 version which will drop right in. He doesn't mention exchange or a core charge but there may be one so without an old switch to send in his or Kanters may not be feasible.

Mike Dulinski in Minnesota (218 721-4631) or Gerry at Packards Southwest gerry@packardssouthwest.com may have used which would most likely be serviceable as is. As with all used and particularly electric items, anything approaching 70 years old may at the least need the contacts cleaned before putting in service and at the worst it might not work.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 18:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Laura55
See User information
Thank you so much. I have no idea how many other questions I will have, but you have been a great help!

Posted on: 2017/10/22 20:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2017/10/22 20:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved