Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Packard Engine Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Hello, I have an original 1948 Packard Woodie Wagon with the original standard 8 288, 130HP engine which needs to be rebuilt.I have it removed from the car and will soon send it out for a rebuild. However I have the opportunity to purchase a 1948 Packard rebuilt Super eight 327, 145 HP but I'm wondering if any type of modifications need to be done which I don't want to get into? So my question is will this bigger engine fit without altering motor mounts , linkages, etc. I would just want to drop it in without any hazzles. Would I need a higher amp starter or anything else?
Thanks
Dave

Posted on: 2017/11/4 19:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Packard Engine Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No changes whatsoever. Does the 327 have its carb and manifold? The 327 carb is calibrated slightly differently than the 288, and the intake runners are slightly larger in ID. You will want to use the larger clutch that comes with the 327 although the smaller one is quite OK unless you plan to race. Linkages, mounts, bell housing etc. are all the same. It is, after all, the same block with just a crank with a longer stroke.

Posted on: 2017/11/4 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another of Packard's post war marketing decisions that is so perplexing; putting a higher cost product like the Station Sedan on the baseline chassis. Ditto initially putting the 24th series convertible and hardtop on the bottom of the line chassis. What the heck were the thinking?!!

Just a note on your engine swap, if you ever to sell to a purist, the incorrect engine might well lower the value.

Posted on: 2017/11/4 19:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi David; If you want to keep your original engine number and date cast in the block all you need to do is use your old block and head with the 327 crank. It works great and with a noticeable increase in power.
I did that with my woodie and drives much better. Good luck with your project. Would you please send me the last four numbers on the ID plate. Thanks much

Posted on: 2017/11/4 19:59

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Thanks for the info., Body # 2293
Dave

Posted on: 2017/11/5 8:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks, the 2293 is the body number for all station sedans. The next four are the production numbers, mine are 3400. The number is also burned in to the wood on the lower edge of the tail gate if the wood is original. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/5 11:20

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

"Another of Packard's post war marketing decisions that is so perplexing; putting a higher cost product like the Station Sedan on the baseline chassis. Ditto initially putting the 24th series convertible and hardtop on the bottom of the line chassis. What the heck were they thinking?!!"

The more I read postwar Packard history, the more that question arises! What the heck were they thinking?!!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/5 14:43
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Years ago at a local Packard Club meet in Northern California, someone drove a Custom 8 Station Sedan that hasd been cobbled together after the fact. The long hood and egg crate grills front and back really added some style! Somewhere I have a photo of it but not sure where . . .

Posted on: 2017/11/5 14:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Okay, body # 2479

Posted on: 2017/11/5 19:08
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved