Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Brake Fluid Reservoir
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm getting ready to replace the brake light switch by installing the kit available from Pacific Northwest Packard's. I figure that I to count on bleeding the system after installing the switch. Looking at the glass bottle reservoir I don't see anyway to add fluid without unscrewing the glass bottle. Is that the correct way to add fluid or I'm I missing something?

Posted on: 2017/11/5 14:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake Fluid Reservoir
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never had to bleed the system after changing hydraulic brake light switches on the 55/56 cars.

Can't help with the remote filler question.

Posted on: 2017/11/5 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave thanks for the input about not needing to bleed the system.

FYI: The car proved hard to start and it didn't matter much if it was cold or warm, but ran good once it was running. Therefore, I checked the carburetors thinking it might be a choke issue. Found that the accelerator pump (AP) on the rear carburetor didn't work (Guess it fell victim to ethanol poisoning). Got a new AC and installed it while the carburetor was on the engine. Problem solved.

Posted on: 2017/11/5 15:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Looking at the glass bottle reservoir I don't see anyway to add fluid without unscrewing the glass bottle.

I believe for the most part that is correct. Keeping the jar full will allow the fluid to siphon down to the master as well as let you see when it needs more. IMO, that is probably the easier way.

If wanted and it is the stock Packard reservoir accessory, there is a short length of flexible tubing connecting the master cylinder cap to the copper line from the remote reservoir. You could disconnect the remote fill there and remove the master cap to do the bleeding the old way. With the mess of draining and then refilling the line from the remote reservoir it would probably be more trouble than unscrewing the jar.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.72 KB)
209_59ff82509b5d9.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2017/11/5 16:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard thanks for your help. I was wondering is there some reason that Packard didn't have a port on top of the glass jar in the middle of the metal lid to add more break fluid?

Posted on: 2017/11/5 20:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can only surmise that the area for a covered opening was small and might be hard to fill without dripping some on whatever was underneath. Maybe they just figured it was as easy to unscrew the jar.

Posted on: 2017/11/5 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Maybe I'm missing something as I can't figure out an easy way to unscrew the jar without removing the bracket.

Posted on: 2017/11/5 23:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The jar should just unscrew once the safety retainer strap is moved.

Does the strap pull forward and out of the slot at the front of the bracket to release the jar or is it like the retainer holding the hydraulic pump reservoir where it is fixed on the ends but the shape under the jar works like a spring and will give enough as it pushes to the side to clear the bottom.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.96 KB)
209_5a00738624865.jpg 1200X1202 px

Posted on: 2017/11/6 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard, again thanks. I think my jar is slightly longer than the one in the picture as there is no slack in the spring strap for it to act like a spring. I bent the two ends on the top of the bracket down slightly. I was then able to force the tab over them to disconnect the spring.

Again, I want to thank Dave & Howard for their help. If I can make the time today or tomorrow I'll replace the switch. Hopefully, I can get by without bleeding the brakes. If it comes down to that I think it will only be necessary to do the front.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
What you have there is a rare dealer-installed Packard accessory remote safety brake fluid reservoir. Most people who have these cars have never even seen one. So it is certainly a feature that most would never know about... always best to post a photo.

In any event, as originally made, there was a snap-out retainer strap that fit under the glass reservoir jar to prevent unscrewing from vibrations. If your jar is longer, it may be a replacement that someone installed when the original got broken.

Either way... the method for adding fluid with this system is simply to unscrew the jar and add fluid, then reinstall the jar. A whole lot easier than going down to the depths below to unscrew the fitting on the Bendix Treadle-Vac master cylinder and try to see the fluid level... which is what most owners of these cars have to do. And the added bonus is that with the glass jar, you can see at a glance if your fluid is low.

RE: stop light switch replacement... As for bleeding the entire system for a stoplight switch change... not really necessary... as long as you simply unscrew the old switch and immediately screw in the new one... all without anyone touching the brake pedal. I've changed several of them over the years.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 12:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved