Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Unleaded gas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Here is the story of the scientist who proved that lead added to gasoline was a major public health hazard and why it was ultimately removed from gas:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/94569/clair-patterson-scientist-who-determined-age-earth-and-then-saved-it

Posted on: 2018/4/2 21:01
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello All, from S. Africa.
Castrol, which is now part of BP' sell a product "Valve Master" for use with unleaded petrol. A word of warning about petrol containing alcohol, if you have a fuel pump fitted with an old type of diaphragm, i.e. not alcohol compatible, the alcohol will in time destroy the rubber of the diaphragm and these particles will end up blocking your carburetor.
I have had this experience with my 1938 '8'. As this car has its steering box on the RHS and right next to the fuel pump, removing said pump is not for the faint hearted. I was forced to remake the diaphragm using 3 layers of 0.5mm thick butyl rubber material which was imported from Australia.
Regards, Dennis

Posted on: 2018/5/27 5:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard5687 wrote:
Here is the story of the scientist who proved that lead added to gasoline was a major public health hazard and why it was ultimately removed from gas:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/94569/clair-patterson-scientist-who-determined-age-earth-and-then-saved-it

While I've been aware of this scientist and his work for many years, this is a very lengthy article. A much shorter, but just as informative piece was done in video on the television show, "Cosmos" with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson in recent years.

While it was a wonderful thing that lead has been removed from gasoline and that the environmental levels of lead are now on the decline, things sometimes go much too far. There is nothing like fanaticism in reforms or rules. A good example is that not long ago I was prevented from buying a beautiful mansion that was built in 1850. The reason? The VA inspector going through the house to approve the loan said he "discovered lead in the paint"!!!! Imagine that. A house built in 1850 with lead in the paint. Wow. That "discovery" by the VA inspector popped the balloon with the VA underwriter 10 days from the close of escrow... and that was that.

Posted on: 2018/5/27 10:29
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chuck McDonald
See User information
I was not aware of that? I was under the impression that the majority of the cars sold to the general public were of low compression, what I mean by low is under 7.0 and fuel at the time only had low octane ratings; I thought, well my 37 282 runs super on 86 and I did try 93 and actually got less MPG, less meaning 2 MPG, I average 13 MPG city and 18 on highway, anyway live and learn and appreciate you explaining what was going on "Back in the day"

Posted on: 2018/5/30 5:13
Chuck McDonald
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Maybe 15 years ago, I experienced exhaust valve seat "recession" on my 55 Pat due to the use of unleaded gas on a couple of long trips. I pulled the heads (no easy feat) and had the exhaust valve seats fitted with hardened seats. That solved it and I haven't had a problem since.

Craig

Posted on: 2018/5/30 9:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

ARe120C
See User information
Agreed Lead substitute is not lead. TEL has been the best anti-knock to date and offered as a side benefit valve seat cushioning and helped prevent valve seat wear.

Do any members use a lead substitute and which one is the "best"? I am running a 1939 120 Club Coupe.

Posted on: 2022/4/2 20:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
It would help if people did a Search of this site before posing such a general question.

Red Line Lead Substitute uses sodium as the benign dissimilar preventive for the aforementioned micro welds. Potassium was tried in Europe but caused deposits.

As the previous posters mention, Amoco lead-free gasoline was used by tens of millions of motorists in the East and Midwest over hundreds of millions of miles.
For more on this subject, hit the Search box here.

I'd be more concerned about using antifreeze instead of reverse osmosis water and a quality rust/corrosion inhibitor in any car not seeing two consecutive nights of a hard freeze, 30 or under, or if air conditioning, since even in LA or Phoenix in August straight water can allow the heater core to freeze. See the Technical link on no-rosion.com Red Line Water Wetter is also a good product.

You might also direct concern to still using DOT 3 or 4 (Girling) instead of DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, which is non-hydroscopic; will not draw moisture from the ambient air, which is what corrodes master and wheel cylinders. NAPA carries this and despite label, it is all made by Dow Corning.

Posted on: 2022/4/3 4:22
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved