Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

TH400 Tranny Behind Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Have about 30,000 miles on the 56J I did this conversion on a few years ago. To date, the only trouble has been been topping off the ATF a couple of times, probably less than a quart all total. Other than that, all it does is do exactly what it is supposed to do, which is transmit power to the rear wheels. And, I may say, it does that very well!

Has anyone else done this mod?

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/30 8:48
 Top  Print 

Re: TH400 Tranny Behind Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just wondering if this was your own conversion or the one mentioned on the 56J site. You've apparently had a decent experience with yours-- has anyone done the 700R4 from another vendor. Haven't heard that much good about the Torqueflight setup, and just wondered how these compare. The GM mods seem to eliminate the large spacer and mount plate the Chrysler uses.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 9:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Could you post pictures?

Hmmm.......we need to get you a TH400 compatible pushbutton unit!

Posted on: 2007/5/30 11:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since I've seen the mod of adapting the TH400 and the TH700-R4 to the Packard V8, and how they do it, it's had me wondering... Why don't they do a manual version of the GM trans? Take an aluminum bellhousing from a GM, cut it like the 700R4 conversion, and weld on the Ultramatic flange to make a manual bellhousing that accepts a GM four speed trans? It wouldn't be so hard as converting to a 727, and ending up with the problems that I've read about. Manual bellhousings for Packard V8's are hard to come by, but Ultramatic bellhousings to convert to manual transmissions would be rather easy to come by. This might be a project for me down the road, after I put the T56 in the Patrician.

Mr. Pushbutton: Think you can make a pushbutton shifter for the T56???!!! LOL!

Posted on: 2007/5/30 16:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Joe. Tell us more about the TH400 conversion. Who did it and do u know how it was done??? WHy the 400 and not the 700R-4???? I'd really like to have a 700-R4 in mine. Is the TH400 easier or what????

Posted on: 2007/5/30 21:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mite be good idea to start a transmission conversion regisrty. AND an Olds oil pump conversion registry too.

Posted on: 2007/5/30 21:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The TH400 I installed was the "Ultra400" kit by Jack N. in Texas. All total, including a custom made driveshaft, it costed about the same as a rebuild would have been for the Ultramatic.

I also swapped an AMC 2.53 rear end under the car. With the TH400's 1st gear start it is still lower geared (higher numerically) than the OEM, which took off in 2nd gear, yet also has a highway gear.

I had not heard of the R700 kit, but am not suprised to hear one is now available. The TH400 is great, but had the R700 been available at the time, I would have chosen it. The TC lock-up, high gear OD, and lighter duty/less tax on engine would have been preferable.

As is though, it is a pleasure to drive and is trouble free.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/5/31 18:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Do you have any contact infor for "Jack N. in Texas" to ask about these conversion kits? Thanks. (PS, I second the idea of a transmission conversion registry)

Posted on: 2008/1/13 23:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For info on Jack Nordstrom's TH400 conversion, go to the 56 Golden Hawk website, click on OPTIONS, then under technical items his TH400 conversion is listed. Pictures and contact info there.

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/

For the 700R4 info,http://www.mikestransmissions.com/Classics/UltraOD.html

There may be others doing also, but these come to mind first.

As I recall, someone tried the adapter-spacer for the TH400 that is being mfg and had some issues. I believe there was quite a thread on the AACA site if it is still there.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 10:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the Hawk site.

I've already been in contact with Mikes Transmissions in Reseda CA (about two weeks ago). And FYI, they are no longer able to do the 700R4 conversion. It sounded like it was a collaboration between three guys. The man who did the machining has passed away, and the other two are no longer on speaking terms. They did say they could maybe find someone else to do the machining, for around $3000 Plus, not including the cost of the donor trans. They did give me the name of another guy, but I've had no luck contacting him.

That may all change, but just to let you know what I encountered.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 14:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved