Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although the voltage regulator is working, it’s an aftermarket with the wrong mount pattern so it’s being held in by only one screw. However, yesterday I came across what appears to be a new or slightly used Delco-Remy 6v positive ground unit, 1118303E, that has the proper mount pattern but it doesn’t match any numbers for voltage regulators in the parts book. Is this a replacement part number or would it cause any issues if installed?

Attach file:

jpeg  5C1D0434-6034-444C-9E72-9EB92D5CE272.jpeg (97.42 KB)
60923_6132ad7daba5a.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  ACE490C4-46AB-45A9-B147-022BBC60363F.jpeg (114.11 KB)
60923_6132ad901fcd9.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/9/3 18:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe that regulator will work in a Packard. Even as far back as 40 the generator output was regulated to 35 amps and according to Hollanders that regulator is 30-32 amps.

Hollanders number is 105 and if you look starting at the bottom of the left column and continuing on to the right column you can see the various vehicles the regulator was used on. Looks like mostly trucks or tractors.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2500.jpeg (131.12 KB)
209_6132b950eb701.jpeg 555X1280 px

Posted on: 2021/9/3 19:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! I knew you would know.

Posted on: 2021/9/4 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
One of my next tasks is to remove the power antenna. I know that seems to be a jump in the wrong direction but it’s out of necessity because it’s stuck partially extended and interferes with the lift above it. It’s about a foot and a half too high! I’ve removed these before but not for decades and know that it’s not too easy with it extended, especially if unable to lift the car up. This Patrician, fortunately, sits high (too high!) which will help.

Speaking of antenna, is its plastic bezel being reproduced? I saw them for manual antennas but not for electric. I haven’t looked but I presume Steele has the grommet.

Posted on: 2021/9/4 18:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't see a bezel for the power antenna either but if you have an original in halfway decent shape good enough for a pattern at least, you might contact Lavine Restorations and see if they would be interested in adding it to their repro collection.

If you cannot get the extended antenna out and you are able to reach up and access the antenna body you could probably follow these instructions Packard made on shipping damaged units. I believe the aluminum tube they are suggesting removing to pull on the nylon strip is just held on by a nut-- similar to how fuel lines connect. I think by 53 or 54 the tubes were in a coiled circle rather than a large oval.

Attach file:

jpg  antenna.jpg (200.78 KB)
209_613404b64daae.jpg 934X1438 px

Posted on: 2021/9/4 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. Now that I’m reminded, I recall having to do that before many years ago and knowing it now (again) should really help!

Posted on: 2021/9/4 18:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Speaking of antenna, is its plastic bezel being reproduced? I saw them for manual antennas but not for electric. I haven’t looked but I presume Steele has the grommet.

Yes, Lavine Restorations does make it, though it's not on the website. They had an unlabeled template that they weren't sure what it went to. After I provided some measurements they realized that the template was for the 51-54 powered antenna.

My car didn't come with that plastic piece, so I had one made. Then as luck would have it, I found the original one in a box of junk inside another box of junk that came with all the stuff in the trunk of the car. I won't be using it now, so if you want it I can send it to you.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/5 0:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Kevin, That is very thoughtful and generous of you! Mine is okay but I recall that when I used to drive the car regularly so many years ago, that the plastic had an an awful, almost melted-looking surface so I machined it down slightly making it a little smaller than stock and the same with the chrome nut before it was replated. Anyway, I will PM you and we can discuss there. Thanks again.

Now if I could locate the custom tool I had made for removing the nut before I have to order a regular spanner! My tool worked so much better.

Posted on: 2021/9/5 0:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Try this.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... +ignition+switch+cylinder

I got the lock tumbler out easily and put it into the rebuilt switch but need to take out out again and can't get it out! I can feel the clip releasing but the lock won't budge.

Posted on: 2021/9/7 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The lock tumbler finally came out late last night after I grabbed it when it least expected so wasn't resisting. I wanted to remove it to see if the lock had a code stamped into it and it does although it took considerable effort and even lightly filing it with a points file to make it readable! Now to see if there are any locksmiths with the books and skill/knowledge to convert the code to a key.

Posted on: 2021/9/8 11:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved