Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
After having the ignition switch rebuilt a while back and the lock keyed to the stamped key code, once installed I noticed that I can remove the key only in the accessory position which, of course, is not right. Where there different switches during the year or is there something that could have been done incorrectly when installing the lock tumbler? The lock came from the car’s original switch while the switch itself is a rebuilt replacement.

Posted on: 2022/3/18 20:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That is very strange. My guess is that the housing they used to rebuild it was manufactured to lock in a different position than the original. The cylinders themselves are all the same (wafers parallel to key). So you're saying there's 4 positions 45deg apart like usual, but the key removes in the most CCW position instead of the one next to it.

Does the switch work correctly electrically?

Posted on: 2022/3/19 7:43
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, that correct and the switch otherwise works properly. I bought the switch rebuilt but without the tumbler so that I could use my own and not have to re-key but I still have the original so I guess the best thing is to take the replacement back out and compare! I had originally sent in a core from my parts car but the rebuild was defective so the one now is a replacement sent by the dealer from their stock.

Posted on: 2022/3/19 11:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It occurred to me that perhaps when I installed the tumbler, the post on the bottom missed the hole it should have gone into inside the switch. That might explain why the key is not quite perpendicular when in the normal OFF position. If that’s the case, it must have engaged partially somehow as it’s still working as it should other than not being able to remove the key and the key not being perpendicular when off.

Posted on: 2022/3/19 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
It occurred to me that perhaps when I installed the tumbler, the post on the bottom missed the hole it should have gone into inside the switch.

I suppose that is possible but I personally find it unlikely. I would take the tumbler out of both your rebuilt and original switches: check that the grooves in the outer cylinder (the housing) are the same on both relative to the starter bezel indexing pegs. I suspect that your new one is 45deg off.

And while you're at it, you may as well check that the core was inserted into the switching plate in the back properly.

Posted on: 2022/3/19 20:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm back at my shop for a couple weeks and some parts waiting for me but one is a mystery. Done anyone know what the grommet on the right is for? It's listed as being used in conjunction with the other which is the antenna fender grommet but no way that's possible as it's larger than the largest part on the antenna other than the motor itself!

Posted on: 2022/5/11 18:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have a manual antenna plastic piece and if you do is it the same size as the electric antenna piece?

Looking at the install drawings the electric antenna uses the 1865-19 shown on the right and the factory part number pa439253 checks. It is clearly shown inserted in the hole in the fender with the insulator piece on top.

The 0756-19 on the left has an odd factory part number 1462417 which does not show in the Packard numerical list. It might even be another mfgs number because the matching vehicles tab also shows some other cars use the same thing. The install info on the manual antenna shows what appears to be a surface grommet not inserted in the fender hole with only the insulator keeping it in place. If the manual insulator is bigger perhaps the odd grommet is close enough in size they just added it to the Packard list. Of course we all know Steele has never made an error. 😜

Attach file:

jpg  elect ant.jpg (89.75 KB)
209_627c5a949a00d.jpg 1176X1390 px

jpg  70-1865-19.jpg (19.17 KB)
209_627c5ab05c69b.jpg 600X326 px

jpg  manual ant.jpg (49.22 KB)
209_627c5acd08439.jpg 1240X918 px

jpg  70-0756-19.jpg (20.86 KB)
209_627c5adec30c8.jpg 600X489 px

Posted on: 2022/5/11 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! Are you saying that it goes inside the oval grommet? Not sure how as both have a groove into which the fender sheet metal slides and I can't see how both can occupy the same space. NOS antennas that I have have nothing like that on them so I guess I'll have to examine it again tomorrow and see if I can make sense of it. The oval type is what my antennas all have.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 20:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think it is one or the other depending on antenna and Steele's description of "used with" is misleading and might have made better sense if they said "compare with". Electric antenna instructions say drill a 1 1/4" hole in the fender so that would fit the overall dimensions of the grooved 1865-19. I imagine the grommet would mold to the somewhat elongated shape of the insulator.

Metro only shows one grommet for a 54 Patrician.

Attach file:

jpg  metro.jpg (47.41 KB)
209_627c63175043c.jpg 2006X820 px

Posted on: 2022/5/11 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's possible that the round one is universal while the other is specific. The oval one also has the proper slope per my NOS ones while the other does not and the originals were indeed oval too.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 20:39
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved