Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 30

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 34 35 36 (37) 38 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess your choice will be to order the one you think correct and see if it works. If it doesn't fit or work maybe send it back.

I measure the neck of an electric antenna at 1". If there is a 1 1/4" hole in the fender you are going to want some kind of grommet that fits in the hole to take up the slack. Without it I think even if the curve of the fender is able to combine with the straight antenna neck to take up some of the left to right excess, vibration is going to be bouncing the antenna around in the hole fore and aft. Don't believe the 0756 which appears to be a surface grommet only even if tight will be able to prevent some amount of movement in a hole with 1/4" extra space between the neck and fender

Posted on: 2022/5/11 21:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have the correct one already and my question was only about the other which they told me I needed too. I think it been established that it is for something else or it is generic but either way it is not used in conjunction with the other.

As for the hole, the new antenna came with a template for cutting it and it is indeed round when looking at it perpendicular to the ground but due to the curve of the fender, it is actually oval.

Posted on: 2022/5/12 1:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It turns out that neither grommet is correct as far as I can tell. As Howard's images show, the oval one just sits on top of the fender so offers no padding or alignment for the antenna body against the hole but it does have the proper visual contour. It also does not fit the plastic bezel that goes on top. The needed pieces should be a combination of the two with the contour of the oval one and the slot of the round one! I'll take them back out to the shop shortly to be sure I didn't miss anything but an RMA has been issued for their return.

Posted on: 2022/5/12 16:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the 1865 not have a ridge on on side for the insulator to seat into? I would think that is what the thicker side and second circle as shown in the illustration would indicate. The Metro piece definitely shows a ridge for the insulator.

One concern I did have is the groove depth. Is it as shallow as the illustration shows or is it deep enough that the grommet fits into the hole leaving only an 1/8 or less of rubber between the sheet metal and antenna neck?

Posted on: 2022/5/12 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The groove appears deep enough and is certainly more than superficial. I had looked at Metro too and don't understand the grommet they show as it is also incorrect but their single photo was not that great and I've had bad experience with their parts in the past as not fitting (of course, that was back in the '60s!). The original fit into the hole with a slot and had a smooth, tapered contour like the oval one at Steele. I would really like to be wrong, though, and discover that one or the other is correct but neither match NOS ones that I have but which I cannot currently reach as they are buried after the recent insulation project.

Posted on: 2022/5/12 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It turns out that the round grommet fits sort-of even though it looks odd being so blockey under the bezel. The hole is actually oval but, of course, the rubber stretches to compensate.

Anyway, although I'm not planning on any significant work on the Patrician this time, I did start it up to drive it outside but for some reason it was running very rough. After moving it outside it had smoothed out but when I shut it off and tried to restart, it wouldn't fire! I didn't try too hard but I may have to take a little extra time at the end of my stay here to be sure I can get it back inside.

Attach file:

jpeg  87883378-4BAA-4150-8743-22D56458EE0F.jpeg (79.06 KB)
60923_6281260cc7cb8.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  03FD3DE4-13B6-42C7-9AB5-4460DE18A059.jpeg (121.40 KB)
60923_6281263a14376.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2022/5/15 11:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I expect the grommet will compress and mold to shape a bit better when the antenna is installed and insulator tightened down.

Posted on: 2022/5/15 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Probably but the bezel doesn't really fit into it well and wants to overlap the bottom lip.

Posted on: 2022/5/15 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Since the engine wouldn’t start again the other day, I tried it today and not so much as a click from the solenoid! For this issue, I think it’s back to the ignition switch which is funky since it was rebuilt and I can’t take out the key when it’s off. Even though I left it in a position where the oil and bat lights were off, something clearly drained it in the couple days that its been sitting.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 17:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
With a freshly charged battery, still no click so something is likely wrong with the rebuilt ignition switch which I suspect is the tumbler’s end tab did not properly engage into its hole when I assembled it. Hotwire, it started right up.

There was a temporary noisy lifter or two but they quieted down too. They lifters in it are the reproductions that were available when it was rebuilt sometime in the early ‘80s.

It’s running now a few feet away and I can hear an occasional and seemingly random misfire that will need some attention soon.

Posted on: 2022/5/17 16:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 34 35 36 (37) 38 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved