Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

38 Twelve. how to compress rings to install ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Hope that everyone is enjoying the Festive Season. I have removed sump and No 1R piston and rod to replace worn gudgeon bush, caused by lack of oil from blocked oil supply. Have replaced bush and am wanting to re-install piston. Have rod connected but have found that a standard ring compressor does not fit square to the block, due to unique shape of the Packard block and piston. Would much appreciate advice on installation. Shop manual mentions nothing about it. Is one supposed to compress rings individually at each land?
Please advise. Peter Toet.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.14 KB)
154_5a3eece576827.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/12/23 18:55
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 Twelve. how to compress rings to install ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, advice from a learned friend revealed that one needs to grind ring compressor to Packard profile to enable safe piston entry. shall send pic. Merry Xmas everyone.
Peter Toet

Posted on: 2017/12/25 5:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Was that advice from our friend up North?

Posted on: 2017/12/25 6:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is an illustration of the Twelve piston ring compressor (S.T. 872) in the January 1935 Special Tools and Shop Equipment Catalog, page 15 of the Motor Section.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.91 KB)
177_5a410ffeddb0a.jpg 831X820 px

Posted on: 2017/12/25 8:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

NeedsRestoration
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote: Was that advice from our friend up North?

wow ! there is an old car/Packard expert in northern Australia ? Do tell us more !

Posted on: 2017/12/25 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sorry, not northern Australia, just North from our situations.

The guy concerned has restored a number of Packards over many years including a teens Twin Six, early '30's Super Eight, a 120, a '51 Convertible and more. However his most recent restoration, a few years ago, was a '38 Twelve Club Sedan. The Twelve when bought had purportedly been rebuilt, but wasn't, necessitating a complete rebuild of the engine. The rebuild was done by the guys engine rebuilder in the northern New South Wales town where he lives. They both learned a lot about Twelve engine rebuilding through that very expensive process. Because of that experience I'd PM'd Peter suggesting he contact our friend or his engine rebuilder.

An aside, because of this guys '38 Twelve Club Sedan, another Packard guy who lived still further North(but again not northern Australia!) became enarmoured with Twelves and purchased one for himself. A benefit that came from the ownership of that Twelve was the new owner facilitated the manufacture of reproduction Twelve distributor caps(by Bosch!)! These caps were being advertised in the CNB but I don't see them now in the Sept '17 issue, which is the only one I have to hand.

Posted on: 2017/12/25 14:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thanks for the info and pic David, The tool did not show up in the Packard Special Tools catalogue which I have. It showed a ring compressor which was for the Six, 120, eight, Super Eight but excluded the 12. I was wondering if you also know the connecting nut torque setting and also the main bearing cap torque settings. I have been unable to locate either of these settings in the Shop manual, Service letters and other general motoring Maintenance manuals of the era. I have the connecting rod bolted together but I have yet to set the torque. I am also curious as to whether I should use the Packard setting or the setting for the Caddy bearings which are fitted. Please advise your view on whether this is relevant or should the crush be about the same anyway. I'm guessing that 55-60 ft/lbs should be sufficient for the connecting rod torque setting, comparing bore/stroke/rpm with the 3.5 inch bore Six and 3.5 inch bore 356 Super Eight motors.
Peter Toet.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.05 KB)
154_5a41c40d77bef.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/12/25 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Really no surprise you didn't find torque specifications in Packard's service literature, though the concept of a torque-measuring wrench goes back to the late 20s, it really wasn't until just a year or two before WW II that the wrenches became commercially available in quantity and manufacturers began to issue specifications. Motor's Manual, a very highly respected independent auto service manual, lists 65-70 lb-ft. for the main bearing bolts. It does not make a recommendation for the rod bearings.

If one wished to guesstimate a torque value for the rod bearing retaining nuts, rather than using bore and stroke of another Packard engine as a basis for extrapolation, I'd think using bearing journal diameter and bolt diameter and thread count would be more appropriate.

Posted on: 2017/12/25 23:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thanks David, I missed seeing it in the Motors Manual that I have but it certainly is there. Yes, you are also correct about using the journal diameter, bolt diameter and thread count. I shall have a look at those. The replacement bearings are also much reduced in width to the original Packard rod bearings. I shall ponder this for a while before I do anything which may be unwise. Thanks for your advice. 4 hour later update. Have set torque at 65-70 ft/lbs, mostly at around 70 ft/lbs to get split pin in. Have started engine sans exhaust. no pin rattle. shall re-torque and fill with conditioned water tomorrow. Noted quite a bit of corrosion on some block entry points of the aluminium head. Once restarted, I shall re-attach front suspension and other ancilliaries. Water Wetter for anti corrosion appears very necessary. Noted some radiator tubes with gunk in the inlets. May need Toet backflush with modern exhaust system.
Peter Toet

Posted on: 2017/12/26 0:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved