Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 32 »

Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I want to thank everyone who has contributed thief-proof numbers and corresponding vehicle numbers to me in the past. Though I wish I had a thousand more, I believe I have barely enough to support a research article for future publication in The Packard Cormorant which I'm currently writing.

That doesn't mean I'm still not interested in obtaining more data so if those of you who haven't already contributed are willing, I ask for:

Year, model
Thief-proof number (1929-1956)
Vehicle number (from the patent or serial # plate)
Briggs body number if between 1941 and 1954.

The years with the greatest need are 1930, 1931, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1940, 1942 and 1952.

Also if anyone has a 1940 made during the period when no thief-proof numbers were stamped, I'd love to have the vehicle number and model.

Send by PM or email to <dlczirr@optimum.net>.

Thanks.

PS - If Canadian built or right-hand drive, please make a note of that.

Posted on: 2009/1/2 13:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Manuel Glez
See User information
Hi Owen_Dyneto,

I think you are doing a great job with this. I will e-mail you the information I can supply by e-mail.

Please, keep us updated of your results.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 11:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Could the items Dave needs for his thief-proof, vehicle, and Briggs Body numbers be fields added to the Owner Registry? Just a thought.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 12:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just attempting to keep this subject active a while longer in hopes of more data, especially for pre-war cars. Thanks to those of you who have recently sent numbers.

Seems I may owe you all something for the constant requests, so let me provide a bit of entertainment (trivia). Often people see the digit "1" as an "I" on their TP or vehicle number.

Packard commissioned two private custom typefaces from American Type Founders for use in it's internal house organ, advertising, and other printed matter. I'm not sure of the origin date but Packard and Packard Bold typefaces are listed in the 1923 ATF catalog as font #348 and #453 respectively. They are also listed on page 245 of McGrew's book American Metal Typefaces of the Twentieth Century.

In the Packard typeface, the numerical character "1" is shaped like the alpha character "I". So there, you have it, another minor Packard mystery uncovered. If you want to see an example of the Packard typeface, I could probably post something, let me know.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 10:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks! I've often wondered about that. It's always nice to have little nagging mysteries solved.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 10:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"In the Packard typeface, the numerical character "1" is shaped like the alpha character "I". "

ok. But how is an alpha "I" represented???? Simply not used at all????

Posted on: 2009/1/9 11:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But how is an alpha "I" represented???? Simply not used at all????

It would be pretty hard to use an alphabet that had no upper case "I", wouldn't it? The upper case "I" is differentiated from number 1 by noticeably smaller serifs top and bottom.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 12:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've heard it said that one (1) is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.

If you take a look at some old typewriters, there was no key for the number "1" back then; typists had to use the lower case "l" (el) instead.

Yet, in more modern times, automotive serial numbers specifically do not use the letters "I", "O" and "Q", so as to avoid confusion with the numbers "1" and "0".

Posted on: 2009/1/9 12:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you take a look at some old typewriters, there was no key for the number "1" back then; typists had to use the lower case "l" (el) instead.

Are you making fun of my old Royal Standard, circa 1958? I use it nearly every day.

For the truly curious, here's a sample of Packard font:

Attach file:

jpg  (50.27 KB)
177_496796108d3a7.jpg 1000X765 px

Posted on: 2009/1/9 13:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
You need to update to the Royal Safari that's the electric portable. It's a great machine. I know I helped design it for Litton Industries years ago.

These new fangeled computers seem to take all of the character out of typing.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 19:13
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved