Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
An old trick for a leaky seal is to wind string or a strip of rag tight around the shaft. Sometimes it helps.

Posted on: 2018/2/28 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Hi Mal, when I had my 47 Super Clipper (now in the Andrew Lidden collection), I had my front lever arm shocks rebuilt by WW Shock Absorbers in Brisbane. They provided excellent service. I simply posted one up at a time. They even supplied a better housing housing at no charge.

http://www.wwshockabsorbers.com/

Posted on: 2018/2/28 18:32
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rusty,

Thanks for the tip. However I also received some advice from a local for a quick fix, which I won't elaborate on here because its probably a no no.

Lyndon,

Thanks for the link. I think Wade used them when he had his '37 Super 8 shocks rebuilt a year or so back. And I'm heading to the Gold Coast at the end of next week, so might work in well.

Posted on: 2018/3/1 0:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 3rd March, 2018

Topped up the shocks again, both sides taking about 12/15mls. Can see where the right side is leaking past a seal but, with the left obscured by the battery mount, can't see where the leak is on the left one. As per Lyndon(LJJ)'s suggestion I've requested a quotation from W. W. Shock Absorbers for rebuilding them. Filled out the online quote form then they came back asking for photos of the shocks. I'll be sending photos soon.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.15 KB)
226_5a9a202c581a8.jpg 413X551 px

Posted on: 2018/3/2 23:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Photo and a couple of scanned pages out of the workshop manual emailed to W.W. Shock Absorbers.

Then late this afternoon drove about 16miles(27kms) to the 135th Robertson Show for the Saturday Night Demolition Derby. First DD I've been to in at least 45 years. Reason for the run was not so much the DD but as a run for the Packard. Took my GPS and discovered that at an indicated 40mph it was actually about 31mph, while an indicated 60mph was actually about 53mph. Also found that an indicated 55mph(actual about 50mph) or about 80kph, was best for engine harmony. Taking it up to the 60mph indicated was starting to make the engine work. Thinking three things, 1) the engine is tired, 2) the modern lower profile radials don't help and, 3) an overdrive would come in real handy. Didn't realise how good the Coupe had been with its rebuilt engine. Spent many hours cruising in it at an indicated 60mph and easily at that. That was without using the OD. as it hadn't been used for about 3->4 years after nasty noises started coming from it. Prior to that, with the OD in the Coupe, 70mph+ was regularly attained. I must mention the Coupes speedo was about 10% fast too! But, even so, it never felt stressed. Also temperature, in the '50, although at about 2/3 to 3/4, was reasonably steady. And oil pressure sat at just over 40psi both going there and back.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 4:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tires are the most likely the culprit. A tired engine wouldn't change the speedo.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 8:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Amen, just drive her where she tells you she wants to be, Mel, the old machines know best and all we have to do is to listen carefully to them. Our 23rd series wants to be in overdrive at anything over 50 as well. If I forget to let her go into overdrive, she lets me know. Beautiful day in Arizona. Ernie

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:28
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agreed, radial tires may be an inch or so less in diameter than the original bias which would cause the fast reading speedo. It could also be a tired spring on the pointer cup letting it read a bit higher and could need calibration.

If it is smaller tires and assuming the speedo gear is the correct one for the rear axle ratio, the odometer should also be off to a measured Km or however you do it in Oz. If it is only a tired spring then the odometer should be reasonably close but the speed reading would be high.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 13:46
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kev, Didn't mean to infer the speedo reading would be influenced by the condition of the engine, sorry

Ernie, I will be "in tune" with what the old girl is telling me. Should be nice here as our forecast for today is 23C = 73F.

Howard, Checked the odometer reading against distance to Robertson and back and it is reasonably close. Haven't measured/checked the diameter of the tyres. But the weak spring hypothesis looks to have some credence.

Posted on: 2018/3/3 15:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 5th March, 2018

Besides all the excitement generated by the imminent arrival in Oz of Bruce Blevins, with emails to/from Bruce and emails to/from PACA members in organising a dinner for Bruce on Friday the 9th, a package arrived today from the US. It contained this! Scroll down to see "my precious" which I'm very pleased with. It has exceeded my expectations and should add a little bling to the '50!

Posted on: 2018/3/4 22:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved