Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 180 power windows
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
good afternoon everybody i have rebuilt the pump and it is tested working very well.i put it back on the car and tried it. the Windows go down with no effort of the pump but when i want to go up the pump almost stalls. i disconnected the pressure line from pump flow and pressure ok pump rpm ok i have seen on schema from old post that they have electro-valves on the hoses or cylinders is it possible that they are stuck. do somebody knows how these valves work i mean normally open and 6 volts closed or reverse and how these valves are feeded for 6 volts i mean from where.i know you gonna ask me were they working before you repair the pump i don,t know i bought the car last summer it was parked in my garage and i started to restore it 2 months ago i,ve seen o?l at bottom of frt lt door and in front of lt rr tire and Under the battery that,s why i,ve redone pump,worn pitted shaft and seal gone etc. etc.if somebody knows something about that it would be appreciated thanks Maurice

Attach file:

jpg  (219.80 KB)
172346_5a889ce30abb4.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/2/17 16:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 180 power windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a description of the window operation in Service Letter Vol 14 #19 Oct 1, 1940 and a wiring diagram in SL Vol 15 #17 of Sept 1, 1941. The wiring diagram is for 42 but I believe it is essentially the same as earlier but maybe with relocated components.

You can download both service letters from the literature section. Go to the Packard Service Index in the Main Menu and under 37-42 models, body section, the links to those two letters as well as a few others pertaining to various window related articles will be found.

The valves are normally closed. I would not be surprised if there is corrosion or possibly some old and damaged rubber restricting the flow. Possibly a poor ground also and the solenoid cannot electrically move the plunger and release completely. I have not personally worked on one but do remember a friend turning a new plunger for that style solenoid valve on a lathe so believe they can be disassembled and repaired. How easy the disassembly might be I cannot say because I didn't get to see that part..

When a window is commanded, pushing the switch opens the valve and starts the pump. For the window up, the pump rotates one direction and pump pressure pushes the piston up agains the spring to raise the window. When the switch releases, the pump stops and valve closes to keep the fluid trapped and window raised.

When lowering the window, the valve opens and the pump runs the opposite direction giving a bit of suction to move the fluid out of the cylinder plus with the assist spring pulling, it lets the window lower. Releasing the switch stops the pump, closes the valve again and traps the fluid at whatever position the window is in.

Posted on: 2018/2/17 17:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
thanks HH56 for your answer i went on these service letters i will remove the driver door electro-valve and check if i have electric signal and o?l pressure there. thannks again. with guys like you it,s like we are connected to Packard factory trouble shooting dept. directly Maurice

Posted on: 2018/2/19 12:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

maurice desrosiers
See User information
good afternoon i found trouble in door switches that don,t send 6 volts to electro valves. does somebody has switches for Windows or knows somebody who have them. thanks Maurice

Posted on: 2018/2/20 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Joel Ray, packards1@aol.com has the switches. Tell him The Flackmaster knows he does....

Posted on: 2018/2/20 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Joel doesn't have any or they are expensive, most Packard switches of that era can be taken apart and cleaned or repaired. Possibly those could be too. If the back is a fiber or phenolic material with terminals riveted on and the phenolic is held onto a sheet metal case by a few folded over tabs it should be a good candidate for the repair/cleaning.

Posted on: 2018/2/20 14:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved