Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Pushbutton system circuit breakers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
All of you out there in Packardland with '56 pushbutton equipped cars, you might want to take a look at the button-shaped "Klix-on" circuit breaker, I am starting to suspect that these are not "popping" at the rated 20 amps. I have seen a few motors come in with windings burned to a crisp. I intend to do some testing in the coming months, and devising a test rig. If you have any doubt about this on your car, I would replace it with a modern circuit breaker of the same rating from NAPA. They don't look the same, perhaps one could be placed in series with the wire off of the starter solenoid at the starter to the original circuit breaker, that would maintain the appearance of the original and give the proper electrical protection needed for these motors, which aren't plentiful.

Here's a good candidate, and at $6.56 each are in the budget.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7823042

Posted on: 2018/3/12 21:26
 Top  Print 

Re: '56 Pushbutton system circuit breakers
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
AutoZone and O'Reilly has them too. I am using one.

The AutoZone. The holes are parallel.

I am looking for a starter motor that can be adapted. Motorcycle. Small tractor..lawn mower..

The autolite armature I am sure are scarce. The field those can be rewound ..

I am changing the connector to a terminal strip. Between pb and finger connector. I think that connector is giving me problems. Easier to make tests with terminal strip. And. It's a positive connection. With a screw ..

Posted on: 2018/3/13 7:21
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Those connectors are really good, they are GM Packard connectors, which are tops. I replace all of the ends with brand new ends, and always get a good, positive connection that way.

I had fields made for the PB motors, and I am getting ready to have a run of armatures rewound.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 8:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Gm.Packard..don't mix!.think that's the problem...hee.

That connector..is in the troubleshoot. .everything in the pb system is screwed. Except that connector.

One could get real protective .by using a fuse or circutbreaker. At each fingerwire.at connector..

My orange wire at parking relay cooked..thinking putting an inline fuse there.

The after market circutbreaker..what like is that with the long posts you can separate wires. I have the motor..green so that's all I need to remove.. Good to know your making arms.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 14:39
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My orange wire at parking relay cooked..thinking putting an inline fuse there.

No need for another fuse if you have the 9A inline fuse added in the white or yellow wire coming from the ballast resistor and connecting to the auto park relay per the field bulletin 56T-25. It is shown on the diagram I sent on the 8th. That wire and fuse is the voltage supply for the finger and PB wires so the fuse will protect all the wiring related to those items and the shift relay coils. The CB protects the motor only. If you are going to add a fuse suggest adding it per the bulletin.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 14:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks h.. I will..9amp fuse..might have to settle for 7.5.Or 10.I will look.but I don't think 9 is an off the shelve number.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 17:26
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That circuit needs a whopping 250 ma (1/4 of 1 amp) to pull in the relay coils. I ship my units with a 7 amp fuse protecting the logic side of the system, per Packard's service bulletin recommendation. I think 3A would be plenty, but the 7 will blow before all the 18 gauge wires going up your steering column will melt. I have seen, and fixed that, a few times.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 20:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They probably picked the 9 amp because it was a value they used in several other accessory applications over the years and maybe the holder and fuse was a standard SFE size item at a lot of dealers. SFE 7.5 used the same size holder and more than adequate for the needs so surprising they did go so high. I would not go lower than 7 because the backup lights on PB cars are also protected by that fuse.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 23:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Come to think of it so is the current for the starting relay.

Posted on: 2018/3/15 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
in the process of hooking things up, have 7.5 amp fuse inline with yellow wire,

just started terminal block wire will be set up like fingers,

Posted on: 2018/3/15 18:49
Riki
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved