Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Radiator swap or universal fit recommendations
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This area too and as I recall also in the ballpark for the place others have used to custom make an aluminum radiator instead of doing a recore.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Recore a post war radiator that is already 60 years old.
It will most likely last 3 years. Maybe 5 if u're lucky.
After u have it recored then post a pic of the bill. Especialy where the shop wrote on the bill "weak tanks"
wheather they are weak or not.

Go ahead with your recore. Have fun. LOL. LOL.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 10:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Recore a post war radiator that is already 60 years old.
It will most likely last 3 years. Maybe 5 if u're lucky.

No substantiation for that based on recores that my friends in the hobby have had done going back as much as 20 years. Perhaps the skill of the person doing the work is the difference? If you had bad tanks, why would you go ahead with a recore without first fixing the tank?

Posted on: 2018/3/19 11:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I cannot understand why all this is such a difficult matter. There have to be dozens and dozens and dozens of used Packard V8 radiators laying around. These are not Saturn rocket fuel tanks, they're just car radiators.

If a person is on an extreme budget... go buy a used radiator from one of the many people with used Packard parts laying around. Bet Mike up in MN or the fellow in San Diego must have a dozen radiators between them.

And weak tanks or no tanks... tanks are just tanks. I was lead engineer for a major car company for 20 years. if a tank is "weak" fix it. Or get another one. If a tank has a hole... solder it or braze it. Or replace it. All this subterfuge of adapting a truck radiators or stories about a local shop that is too lazy or lacking in knowledge to bother re-coring an old radiator are a mystery.

Of course if budget is not an issue, get one of the many sources (try going through SEMA or Hemmings or Kanter) out there to simply make a new aluminum radiator up from scratch. There are plenty of people doing this now and all you need are the flow rate, external dimensions and use the old mounting brackets off of an existing Packard radiator. All of this labor-intensive modification is really just plain unnecessary.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 14:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I had a recore done on the radiator in my '53 done in 2007. Price was $700. No issues to date.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 15:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Got "strong" tanks if you need them.

Posted on: 2018/3/19 17:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So then a recore is performed because there is something wrong with the old core.
Meaning that whatever is wrong with the old core could not possibly be wrong with the tanks too???

Posted on: 2018/3/20 8:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One word of caution when having the radiator recored:
Take a fairly accurate measurement of the OVERALL heitght of the radiator.

I don't remember how much distance there is for clearence between hood and rad cap. But if the core is installed causing some rise in the heitght of the radiator then there could be clearence problems between hood and rad cap.

I had a 10 year old AMC gremlin back in the early 80's that had a bad upper tank. The radiator shop put a new tank on it but the neck of the cap set too high. Hood hit cap. Radiator shop had to do it over again.

Posted on: 2018/3/20 8:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
New core and tank repair, '51 Packard 200, $800.00 May 2017, Vancouver, WA. I guess costs go with the hobby.

Posted on: 2018/3/21 21:07
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Specificaly, what was wrong with the tanks???

Posted on: 2018/3/22 12:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved