Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

Tobs, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 Packard Caribbean Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
The question that remains unanswered: why is this Caribbean hiked up in the rear and squatting down in the front? Is the suspension broken? Or?

Posted on: 2018/4/1 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Possibly broken but possibly placed in that position for loading or unloading the trailer??

Posted on: 2018/4/1 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Possibly broken but possibly placed in that position for loading or unloading the trailer??

Yes. Of course. Completely understood about the "possibly(s)" but merely wanting confirmation. Especially since photos were taken with the car posed this way-hiked in the rear and down in the front.

And I've sure loaded and unloaded my fair share of V-8 Packards on trailers over a lifetime. So is the suspension working or broken?

Posted on: 2018/4/1 20:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

michaelplatt
See User information
Gentlemen

I am a fan of classic cars and I love originality that's how I ended up with this Caribbean. Unfortunately my knowledge lacks when it comes to Packards and more specifically the unique Torsion Level System. I do not know why she is currently riding high in the rear. I have been scanning the forums to learn as much as possible before taking a closer look tomorrow. By mid week I should have a greater understanding of the components that are functioning or non functioning and why. As you Caribbean enthusiasts know these vehicles are a serious investment hence getting the jump on marketing and advertising. This vehicle deserves to be with an enthusiast that understands Packards or has a competent mechanic who can deal with their complexities. I appreciate your insight and am happy to have found this forum.

Best,

Michael

Posted on: 2018/4/1 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

michaelplatt wrote:
Gentlemen

I am a fan of classic cars and I love originality that's how I ended up with this Caribbean. Unfortunately my knowledge lacks when it comes to Packards and more specifically the unique Torsion Level System. I do not know why she is currently riding high in the rear. I have been scanning the forums to learn as much as possible before taking a closer look tomorrow. By mid week I should have a greater understanding of the components that are functioning or non functioning and why. As you Caribbean enthusiasts know these vehicles are a serious investment hence getting the jump on marketing and advertising. This vehicle deserves to be with an enthusiast that understands Packards or has a competent mechanic who can deal with their complexities. I appreciate your insight and am happy to have found this forum.

Best,

Michael

Appreciate your appreciation of this Caribbean... and I love the originality of it. No one could possibly love it more than I do. Loved them since they were new and remember them in the showroom.

First... check to see if the suspension is set to the "ON" position (toggle switch under the driver's side of instrument panel). Then wait 7 seconds and see if the system kicks on and levels itself. Otherwise something's amiss.

Posted on: 2018/4/1 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
These pages from my website are about the T-L and may help you figure out what is going on (right/wrong). I agree: check the on/off switch under the dash first.

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/torsionLevel.html

Craig

Posted on: 2018/4/2 9:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if the switch is on (handle toward center of car) and still a no go then check for brake lights. If brake lights work and TL switch is on then power should be getting to the control system. If no brake lights then check body feed fuse under the dash or the brake light switch. There is another fuse -- 20 amp -- located inline in a red wire somewhere near the starter which could also be blown. It provides the power to the level motor. If those items are all good then the troubleshooting starts for real.

Posted on: 2018/4/2 9:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved