Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Randy: Congratulations on your new Packard. Hope to hear more about the new Packard when I come to Warren in July. I know for sure that after your done with this one, it will just as nice your present pride and joy.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/6/5 20:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well folks, Monday night and still no car. The hauler had an excuse from last Thursday, but the main hauler said it would be delivered today. Today only has 2 hours and 15 minutes left in it. Am I getting worried? YES!

Posted on: 2007/6/18 20:46
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Time to start demanding a discount on that transport fee!!!

Posted on: 2007/6/18 20:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Randy. U're probably already doing it but u need to stay informed on where that car is geograghically while in transit. If it's close enuf for a 2 hour drive u mite want to go see for your self.

Who did u get to haul the car????

Posted on: 2007/6/19 9:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
the car arrived today and now I know why it was so late. They had an F550 Ford hauling a long tri-axle trailer and I doubt they went over 40 mph. These two were as dumb as a box of rocks. They had no paperwork. They had an idea how much to collect. I could have dummied up the original document and robbed them blind. I wondered how they could get so close to the destination but they had a GPS that told them when to turn etc. My friend did note some scuffing on trailing edge of front fender but it will buff out. The car is here and work can proceed. See you in 2009

Posted on: 2007/6/19 18:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

That surely is good news that the Carib is finally home.

When I read that Sunday had come and gone with no sign of the car, I decided to keep my mouth shut and see how it played out - but was biting my nails.

Posted on: 2007/6/19 21:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks for the extra incisors Brian. I was really getting anxious. Can you believe it took them five hours from the Pa border coming up 79 to reach Irwin? I knew one T/L limit switch was bad and replaced it today. While I was routing the wires to the control box I discovered the other limit switch also had broken wires. I have a replacement I'll install tomorrow. Mechanic Barry discovered a leaking core plug. I'll replace them all with brass when we yank the engine. It's difficult working on a frame hoist X grease rack. The arms are in the way. There is a lot of old undercoating and crud on this frame. I'll get dirty tomorrow.

Posted on: 2007/6/20 23:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

Just glad to see that car found its way to a good home. Hmm, 5 hours - and with a GPS - for what should have taken about an hour and a half from the PA border sure is strange. There musta been a lotta strip clubs along the way. Hope they charged by the mile and not the hour.

Well, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun now with your fix for the suspension to get that lowrider look.

Seriously, don't throw those old limit switches away. I was told of a good way to fix the broken wires (but darned if I can remember it).

Meanwhile, I've had no problem with plated steel plugs/cups that I've installed. However, some of the core plugs are a real PIA to change, especially the shallow ones used along each cylinder bank - best done when engine is out of car. Is your leaker at the front of the right bank?

Gotta run, but hope to see the car real soon.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 13:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian, I have fixed most of the limit switches I have removed. I use a 1/16 inch bit to drill out old wire and careful not to go too deep. I then silver solder (clipped back a little) the wires. I don't like the wire Packard used. It seems too stiff. I am going to try a substitute wire but keep the last eight inches or so with the Douglass connectors.
The leaking plug is pass side at rear of block. We are taking engine out for painting, etc.
I contacted Daytona Carb - they will restore the two carbs for $750.00 - a little rich for my blood. I have one brand new bowl and will use that on the front carb. Rebuild kits are $50.00 + $5.00 shipping.
Dirty but still smiling

Posted on: 2007/6/21 23:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hmm - I can run a jumper over to either of the solenoids and the TL motor works smoothly, but it won't actuate by moving the rod attached to the compensator control??
Found it! The hot wire running from the starter solenoid just does not exist. I was looking for the inline fuse for those solenoids and could not find it. For a brief moment I thought perhaps Caribbeans were different. But there was NO hot supply to the solenoids. I made a new fused hot lead and resoldered the purple wire feeding the brake switch. We'll see what works tomorrow.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 20:39
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved