Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Packard battery cable
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul R. White
See User information
I have recently purchased a 1954 Packard Cavalier. Can someone tell, or better yet, show me where to properly affix the battery ground cable to the engine block? Thanks. Paul R. White

Posted on: 2018/4/10 10:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard battery cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
It would appear that it bolts to the block on the back side of the generator tensioning arm, if this illustration is correct. Be sure to only use a braided flat cable, as shown in the illustration. Do not under any circumstances use 12V rated, smaller gauge round cables from the auto parts store.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Electrical_VIII.pdf

Posted on: 2018/4/10 12:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Paul R. White,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '54 Cavalier in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 16:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Paul;

I believe the correct answer is under the forward bolt that affixes the generator to the bracket . . . or perhaps the bolt that affixes the generator bracket to the block, but that's just a hunch. The access to that location is especially poor, so most frequently you will find that the ground is attached to one of the holes in the side of the cylinder head. I have also seen the ground affixed to one of the water pump bolts, and in photo 206 in the '54 photo library the ground appears to be attached to the power steering pump/reservoir.

Some of the evidence:

Check the parts book. In the 4.0001 section there is reference to the generator bracket . . . however this is not conclusive since the applicability appears to be limited to the 23rd series. Note the ground strap part number appears to follow the battery design/location (22-23 versus 24-54). I've concluded from the parts book that at one time the ground strap was installed at the lower generator bracket, so I might ask the question 'Why would the location change?'

Figure 1 in Section VIII of the shop manual depicts the major components of the electrical system. The ground strap is clearly visible at the battery post but the attachment at the other end is not clear. In this figure is also a feature that may have been added or hi-lighted in the photograph. I'm in reference to the rather straight line that appears to start at the forward in-board corner of the battery box and extends over the generator. I believe this was an attempt to show the location of the ground strap . . . however a woven ground strap would not likely be quite as straight as shown. I'm also not sure the passage over the generator . . . that too could be nothing more than the 'photo-editing' of the original photo. My concern was a flexible strap near the armature pole of the generator. I agree with 'MrPushbutton' the illustration may be pointing to the tension arm, but I believe the photo was altered to hi-lite the ground strap as one of the many components that make-up the 'under hood' electrical system. Since the tension arm is above the generator I'm still skeptical about a ground strap being placed in that location.

The wiring diagram shows the ground strap terminating in-board and otherwise aligned with the generator. Again not conclusive, but if this was merely a schematic in could have been shown as an electrical ground much closer to the battery.

I've looked at a lot of 'assembly line' photos, with mixed results. The engines do not appear to have generators installed went the engine is fitted into the chassis. The generator bracket appears to have both bolts installed as the engine is prepared for installation.

Most of us lean to 'bigger is better' when it comes to battery cables, and the woven ground strap designs were, I believe, equivalent to AWG 1, so if a larger ground cable is desired you will likely end up with a regular round wire and correctness is over taken by functionally.

Another consideration is that a lot of ground straps have integral battery connectors, and since the rest of the world moved on to negative ground those connectors will fit the smaller of the two SAE battery posts. If you already have the correct cable and it's long enough then I would vote for the forward generator bracket bolt where the bracket mounts to the engine block. If you are thinking of going to large cables I would convert to double aught gauge, specifically welding cable (it's flexible, and for any given wire diameter there is more copper. Cable ends should be those that are soldered (not crimped). If you use hefty cable ends be sure to account for the thickness when selecting bracket bolts. Some of us also have some means of disconnecting the battery (disconnect switch) while the car is in storage. I frequently kid my Saturday night car show posse that the only reason I disconnect the battery is because I want to be there when the car catches fire.

I know a lot of mechanics are convinced that a dedicated ground should be run to the case of the generator. By attaching the ground strap to the generator mounting bracket you have essentially provided that ground.

I personally have mounted my ground strap to the head (there is was when I bought the car), but will relocate it if the generator is ever removed. If your car is fully restored and this is the last step then you'll need the advice of someone that knows 'for sure', otherwise I would install a 'round wire' ground to the most convenient location and enjoy your car . . . knowing full well when accurate information is available your action is reversible.

dp

Posted on: 2018/4/10 20:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's important to keep in mind that shop manuals and parts lists were very often composed and printed before actual production began and photos thus might well have originated from prototypes and mock-ups in studio situations. Thus they are not necessarily indicative of actual production. I'm not saying that is (or isn't) the case here, just something to keep in mind when looking at illustrations that preceded actual production.

Posted on: 2018/4/10 20:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Paul;

I knew I saw photos of the ground strap somewhere. Look in BigKev's Project Blog pages 14, 16, 18, 25, 28, 37, 50, 70 & 76 . . . there may be others. The earlier pages (especially 18) shows the strap attachment. Kev placed it on the rear bracket bolt.

Dp

Posted on: 2018/4/12 19:36
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking back at some of my original pictures, I believe the ground strap when I got my car was attached to the water pump bolt that has the nut on the backside. But I relocated it to the lower rear bracket bolt, as that original location made the strap lay across the alternator, and I was worried about in shifting and arching against the alternator terminals.

This is an earlier pic before I reworked the alt bracket to the design I am using today and cut proper spacers that allowed me to use the OEM top bracket.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.80 KB)
1_5ad0e483a8a9e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (288.10 KB)
1_5ad0e51d8cc5c.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/4/13 11:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Postwar thru 50 I think the battery cable mounted under the generator but I believe in 53-54 and maybe also 51-52 the factory location for the cable is shown clearly in the first photo Big Kev posted above where he has it mounted on the water pump thru bolt above his alternator.

I base that supposition on these factory photos out of the power steering training manual. Unfortunately the scan was not great quality to see much detail as to exactly how it fastens but the cable is clearly shown. I think it is on the back side of the pump near the nut. In that area there can't be much to choose from to go too wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  (344.94 KB)
209_5ad12e198c495.jpg 1388X1044 px

jpg  (443.68 KB)
209_5ad12e2859994.jpg 1316X1032 px

Posted on: 2018/4/13 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It was always on the water pump bolt, back side under the nut, on all my 1951to 1954 Packards and I presumed that's why that bolt was longer. Some of mine were untouched originals too.

Posted on: 2018/4/13 22:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved