Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 177

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

My 'new" 1955 Patrician
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Hi. Been away from the Packard family for a while. I am picking up a survivor 1955 Patrician this weekend. Decent shape. Ill be driving it 200+ miles home. Issues are: Right front window inoperative, power antenna inoperative, front heater core disconnected (leaks), wont go into Park, no spare tire, no front license bracket. Other than that, original sardonyx and white, original interior - very nice shape. torsion level works great. I'll post pics soon. Help with parts would be great Not sure treadle vac is working - very hard pedal, pulls to right.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 20:02
 Top  Print 

Re: My 'new" 1955 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congrats on the "new" Packard. Doesn't sound like too many major issues and parts for those mentioned should be relatively easy to find or repair. One worry is I hope you meant you are hauling it and not driving it home with a questionable TreadleVac.

The V8 TreadleVacs (or BTVs as they are commonly known on this forum) have gathered a somewhat dubious sudden failure record. Units put into service after a long sit without a thorough going thru and at a minimum installing new rubber and fluid have kind of gotten a "stop at one corner and not the next" bad reputation.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 20:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Thanks for the cautions. Other makes with Treadle Vac report similar complaints. I'm sure it'll need a rebuild. I assume there should be a noticeable assist when the pedal is depressed.

Posted on: 2018/6/1 0:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very much so. It normally takes very little pressure and travel of the pedal for a stop. There was not much feedback on those units so it is a fine line between a tip of the toe touch and a gentle stop vs a bit more aggressive push and you are being peeled off the windshield.

Posted on: 2018/6/1 8:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BTV can be a potentially fatal failure point. Many have reported success by having them rebuilt by a reputable source. I went another route, shown here on my website for your edification:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

17 years of no problems with this conversion.

Craig

Posted on: 2018/6/1 11:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Got it home with zero problems! Now to assess needs.

Attach file:

jpg  (139.21 KB)
3067_5b15b8189d1de.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (122.01 KB)
3067_5b15b86556a9b.jpg 1200X675 px

jpg  (35.57 KB)
3067_5b15b88806272.jpg 600X337 px

Posted on: 2018/6/4 17:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice is an apt description and congratulations again. Did you drive it home and if so did the hard brake pedal give you any palpitations? Even if they seemed to do OK or straighten out during the trip I would still make going thru the BTV and a fluid change a first priority.

Window could be the motor or the switch. Both are failure items & Ross might have them at a decent price. Vendors Kanter, Patrician Industries or Max Merritt for NOS and for used items like trim also check with Gerry at Packardssouthwest or Mike Dulinski.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Your 55 Pat looks almost identical to mine, so obviously I think it is a beautiful car. The mechanical problems are readily solvable.

BTW, "pull to the right" by the brakes has zero to do with the BTV per se. More likely, a leaking right front wheel cylinder causing the brakes on that side to have less friction.

See my website for more upgrades I did on my 55 Pat:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/special.html

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/myPatrician.html

Craig

Posted on: 2018/6/4 19:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Congratulation! It's even better than it looked in the Craigslist ad. Out of curiosity, did it come to your attention via Various CL Pickings #3256? Good luck with that fine Patrician.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/6/4 20:38
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Yes, I did drive it home. There a few moments of clenched cheeks on a few braking points. I will go through brakes. I'm making notes of the upgrades. To answer a question, I found the car on a craigslist search. I missed out on a 51 sedan in our state. I wasnt going to miss out on another opportunity. Paid full asking g price too!

Posted on: 2018/6/4 21:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved