Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Paint colour/color opinions
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I am in the process of prepping and primering my 1950 sedan for a respray. The original color was black and it was redone in a beige/cream color later. I am guessing either Arizona Beige or Corona Cream from the Ditzler paint chip card.

What is your guys opinion regarding this?

I thought about the original black, but that is difficult to get right for a first time painter like myself? Black is also a 'hot' color here in the Africa sun!

How do you feel about the beige/cream choice? Lots of cars were painted that color here but it is rather "dead". I definitely dont want a yellow looking cream, I hate yellow!

Anyway would appreciate all kinds of opinions!

Saw this car on e-bay, but it seems a bit yellow?

Attach file:

jpg  (40.86 KB)
484_496b232fa7f84.jpg 700X383 px

Posted on: 2009/1/12 6:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint colour/color opinions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It depends entirely on what you like, and of course what color the interior is. I for one have never been good at looking at a small paint chip and visualizing what the finished car would look like. Looking at other cars is one way, or you could make a sillouette outline and try coloring with various colors. Perhaps Photoshop or some other PC program could do this even better.

There was a 1941 color I very much liked, I believe it was called Saratoga Beige and what made it so attractive is that it was (I think) the only combination in that year that did not have the wheels painted in the body color, the wheels were done in Cimmaron Red and even though only a small portion of wheel showed, I thought it added greatly to the appearance. Though not quite authentic for 23rd series, I think it would look very good. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 10:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Go to:http://www.packardclub.org/ and click on the Reference icon and then the color chips for 1950. I'm partial to the Astral Blue Metallic or Ash Green for the '50's.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 19:12
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Did Packard offer a 2 tone finish that year?

I agree about the light color being cooler, an advantage not to be discarded lightly.Possibly you could paint the top white, cream or light gray and the lower body a darker color.

How about an ivory top and tan or medium brown on the bottom?

White will go with practically anything. Remember the 3 tone Packards from 1955 and 56? They were all white, black and a pastel accent color. You could omit the black and paint your car white and a color.

What color is your interior? You will want to pick something that will not clash.

Something to break up those slab sides and give it a little life.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. You would need a real artist to butter up that dead whale. I like the model but svelte looks were not their strong suit.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 23:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Went to Denny Z's Packard paint code site. It shows no 2 tones for 1950 or 51 but starting in 1952 there are some. You might consider some of the 52 53 or 54 factory combinations.

Sunset Red and Packard Ivory was a combination offered in 1952. It should give you the relative coolness you seek for the interior, add a bit of life, and break up the car's bulky appearance.

Would go well with a gray brown or red interior but not with blue.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 23:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are some combinations for 41-7 Clippers that might work too. I have always been partial to the silver and blue combo the 41 conventional bodies had and might be interesting if done somewhat in the style of the later Clippers.

Posted on: 2009/1/25 23:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 22nd series had a lot of factory 2-tone options. In 1941 the non-Clipper 2-tones used the light color on top and the dark color for the lower. Starting with the Clipper and through the 22nd series Packard flipped this and put the dark color on top and the lighter color on the lower. For our Packards (the 23rd series), Packard discontinued the 2-tones and went with solids.

It's strictly a personal thing but I'm not real fond of the 2-tone treatment on the Bathtubs. Apparently the public wasn't too thrilled either since it was discontinued.

Most of the factory colors for the 23rd series are on the dark side and Packard really backpedaled compared to the palette they were using for the 22nd Series. The 23rd Series palette is much more subdued with the startling exception of turquoise which I know was a popular color during the 50's but I think it's overpowering on a Bathtub (looks spectacular on the 3-tone 55 Packards though).

If authenticity isn't a big deal I'd look at the color chips for the 22nd series... some great metallic colors.

My '50 Custom is black. Wouldn't have it any other way (I try to park in the shade).

Edit: The 1941 Silver/Blue combo mentioned by HH56 is on my short list of possible 2-tones for my '41.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 1:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
There is a 1949 two=tone (White/Green) for sale on Ebay. See the link below for another look at a two tone style. By the way, another opinion...it's your car, pick a color to make yourself happy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1949-Packard-2200-Series-Standard-8-Touring-Sedan-AZ_W0QQitemZ250363837777QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item250363837777&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Posted on: 2009/1/27 7:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Apparently there was a two-tone option for the '48-'49 models as per the directory.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.76 KB)
564_49820992c7515.jpg 480X206 px

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:56
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Apparently there was a two-tone option for the '48-'49 models

Yes, for the 22nd series cars, but no factory two tone for the 1949 23rd series cars. I believe the 48-54 parts book is on this website and it lists all the two-tone combinations, but here they are again. They sure had a love affair with that Egyptian Sand Metallic!

Code SC - upper - Coronet Blue Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand Metallic.

Code NC - upper Sylvan Green Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand metallic.

Code MC - upper Aztec Brown Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand Metallic.

Code HC - upper Agate Blue Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand Metallic.

Code HC - upper Lexington Green Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand Metallic

Code LC - upper Sandonyx Brown Metallic; lower and wheels Egyptian Sand Metallic

Code DF - upper Serpentine Green Metallic; lower and wheels Golden Green Metallic.

The above car is either LC or MC.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved